Rollcall Sacramento!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny note about living in our area. Was on the Cypress Sea a couple months ago when someone there asked if I dove much in Folsom Lake. No was my reply. About a week later was somewhere else talking about the dive when someone asked where I lived, said Elk Grove and they asked - wow - you dive Folsom Lake much...

So I say to my self, self - why does everyone ask me if I dive Folsom much - lets ask. So I ask the fella why and he says there is the city or town in the lake. When it was built or whatever I guess the town was left there and is at a depth of 130' or so. When the lake is low I guess you can get to it and its within rec limits.

Fact or myth - I don't know. But every time I tell someone I'm from the area they right away ask if I dove the lake to check it out. I have dived in the lake a couple times but it was for classes only and very poor visibility even when it was just us. Crawdads and bass aside - nothing I'd probably say was much fun other then honing skills and getting wet.

There is both fact and fiction there. Mormon island is (was) the town that you heard of. It's no where near 130ft, as a matter of fact, right now it's completely above water.

Here is a link: Folsom Photo Journal: Mormon Island Rediscovered

I've never dove in Folsom lake, I bet it sucks. Lake Natoma, which is fed by FL, I've dove a couple times underneath rainbow bridge. It's fun to treasure hunt under there.

Out of two times diving there, once was no current, and about 8 ft. of viz. the other time the current was so strong you had to drag across the bottom using boulders, but the viz was prob. 10-12 ft. YMMV.

Thanks Anti. I've never heard of the town which is why I was always surprised when people asked me about the lake, etc. Funny how it is above water now and does not look all that interesting...I was expecting something more.

I've not dove Lake Natoma but would probably give it a try once. We have a trip up to lake Tahoe soon. Going to see what we can find in the way of treasure at Zephyr Cove. Always a ton of boat and beach people there with clear water. Just not sure how it will work out with all the boat and jet ski overhead.

Thanks again for the link and info.

You have another 3 divers here in Davis, sometimes just me, sometimes 3 of us. Car pooling is always good. What do you plan to do with this list? Can you create something like an email listserver (did that for divers at UC Davis but no seems to reply) to see if and when people are heading down to Monterey?

Woodland.

Puget Sound transplant, ready to dive!

Sea ya!

Dave

Folsom here; both my wife and I dive although she prefers the tropics. I've dove Folsom Lake a couple times, years ago - not much to see. Tahoe was like a giant swimming pool - very clear but still not all that much to see, though there are lots of spots there I haven't seen. Always up for a Natomas/Powerhouse dive (though I was just kayaking there and it seemed pretty shallow), and I'm hoping to get back down to Monterey or the North Coast in the next few weeks, for either some boat or beach diving.

Folsom here; both my wife and I dive although she prefers the tropics. I've dove Folsom Lake a couple times, years ago - not much to see. Tahoe was like a giant swimming pool - very clear but still not all that much to see, though there are lots of spots there I haven't seen. Always up for a Natomas/Powerhouse dive (though I was just kayaking there and it seemed pretty shallow), and I'm hoping to get back down to Monterey or the North Coast in the next few weeks, for either some boat or beach diving.

Hey Pete.

Welcome to scubaboard!!!

Glad to see you join us and pleased that you chimed in to Justin's Sac area thread.

We all hope to get some group diving going here real soon.

Tahoe is a BIG swimming pool.:D, Though there are some cool wrecks and dive sites to see there and I am still trying to get to see more, Maybe we can get a camp and dive set up there for a group weekend of fun soon.

Again welcome to the fun we all have here and glad to see you join all of us Nut's!

Hey Pete.

Welcome to scubaboard!!!

Glad to see you join us and pleased that you chimed in to Justin's Sac area thread.

We all hope to get some group diving going here real soon.

Tahoe is a BIG swimming pool.:D, Though there are some cool wrecks and dive sites to see there and I am still trying to get to see more, Maybe we can get a camp and dive set up there for a group weekend of fun soon.

Again welcome to the fun we all have here and glad to see you join all of us Nut's!

Jim,

If you're organizing a Tahoe dive I would LOVE to go. I've never dove Tahoe and have been thinking about it a lot lately.

-Casey

Hey Jim,
What new skills will we be learning in these extra classes of yours? As for removal and re-donning of wet suits, does that include Buck's speedo as well?
And could these extra classes go over the following skills:
Urine removal?
Deft after-dive booger removal?
Newby versus experienced diver identification?
How to look cool while walking in fins?
Bobbing for overinflated drysuits?
Diving Monastery w/ 12 foot swells?
...hungover?
and chumming the water...a Monterey diver's friend or foe?

Anyhow, sign me up!
Your bud,
Sunny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom