Rogue Waves --Small Scale Wave Tank Simulation. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"Lego Pirate Cannon Boat" in a wave tank generator/simulator encountering Rogue Waves (looks like a "Three Sisters" grouping --top heavy model vessel finally swamped and capsized on that third one) --Video:
http://prx.aps.org/multimedia/PRX/v2/i1/e011015/e011015_vid1.mov

ANU News » Lego pirate proves, survives, super rogue wave

Probable Rogue Wave, storm conditions caught on video --from Deadliest Catch. . .

Anybody run into to these monsters "real life & surprise out-of-nowhere/out-of-the blue"???

Last edited:
I was on a 50' chartered sailboat off Mallorca a few years back, in fairly benign conditions, when a wave came that knocked the boat over, meaning that the mast was horizontal rather than vertical, and for a number of long seconds, we were under water. Got to practice a man overboard drill for real that day. We had a few minor injuries (broken tooth, scrapes, bruises, banged up knee), fortunatly no major injuries or worse.

The thought that went though my mind was that I survived singlehanding though a hurricane in my 30' sloop in Micronesia without any real injury to myself, but this surprise wave on a larger boat with a full crew caused a number of us injuries. I think that the reason was that we were totally unprepared for it. That's what made it so dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom