RockBoots and Fin Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Large fins work perfect for me with 5mm booties diving wet. When diving dry, the high angled dorsal of the foot in the Rockboots really prohibits getting the fins on and the spring is practically stretched to the max.

Any ideas on a fin that you can use for either over rockboots when diving dry over over booties when wet? Don't really want to have to have 2 different sizes for each.

Depends on what size your boots are...

I use to dive a size 9 (ladies) rock-boot, and now I dive ML turbo-soles and no longer require the rock-boots. For fins, I use the same size fin (2 sets), which are the XL Scuba Pro Jet-fins. For my back-up suit with the rock-boots, the designated fins have a large spring heel whereas for the fins that I use with my turbo-soles, I have a medium spring heel. When I was south and was diving wet-boots, I was able to wear the same fins as I do with my dry-suit with the turbo soles and the medium straps.

So what is my point? If you try the jets or turtles over the rock-boots and your wet boots and there is limited shuffling with the wet boots, then you can use either the strap that it comes with (might rip) or have a couple sizes of spring heels and change them out before trip, or keep your designated fins for wet, and have a set for rock-boots.

Yeah, this is well-traveled ground for any drysuit diver. Most end up having to purchase another set of fins with a larger foot pocket to accommodate drysuit rockboots.

The Hollis F1 fins come with a two-setting user-adjustable spring strap. There might be enough of a sizing difference to fit your wetsuit booties on the shortened setting and your drysuit boots on the lengthened setting.

Another thing to consider is that some hard-soled wetsuit booties can be just as bulky in the forefoot as drysuit boots. When my thin wetsuit booties wore out, I purchased Pinnacle Orca hard-soled wetsuit booties. Now I can use my travel fins (APS Mantaray) with either those Pinnacle booties or my Bare Trek boots. Why is this a big deal? Well, sometimes it's nice to bring along a backup wetsuit/booties to use in case my drysuit rips/malfunctions (and isn't fixable with some duct tape :D ). Now I only need to bring one set of fins with me.

When looking at the difference between the rockboots and the regular booties, the biggest issue is the dorsal angle coming rising earlier blocking the boot from going in all the way. If they would just cut out the top of the fin slightly or angle it upwards it would help.

XXL Force Fins fit everything, most all the drysuit divers that I dive with on a regular basis have converted to these fins over the years, they're easy to don/doff, more power than you need, you can walk in them, and just plain fit.

+1 for Force Fins. Just get them in XXL and use Comfort Insteps Force Fin: Accessories to size them down when not wearing a drysuit.

I have a DUI dry-suit and I have to agree with meesier42. I use a set of force fins, easy to get on and off. Yes you can walk forward in them. I just reach down with my right hand and pull off the heel bungie cord then stand on the left fin with my right fin and slide my foot out. very easy to get out of. I really like them.

The Force Fins do look nifty. I'm sure they work quite well.
Unfortunately, most of the divers I know wouldn't want to spend that much on a pair of new fins.
Here's a link to the Force Fin online retail page.
I kind of dig the $786.25 Excellerating Force Fin Tan Delta.
For the penny-pinchers in our midst, the original Force Fins are being sold for $189.95.

BTW, Bob, I really like the look of your website. It has a pleasing color scheme and a nice layout.

The Original ForceFin or perhaps the Pro ForceFin is all that you need. the super fancy fins are awesome, but most just don't need them. Get the competitively priced models you have them forever and they'll be as good 20 years from now as they are today.

Force fins just won't happen. Just can't see paying that much money for fins. For some that may be a priority and worth it, but for me, I just can't justify it.

On to another recommendation please.

I have a set of Aqualung Technisub Blades 2 that I rarely use. My choice of regular use fin is the Bio-Fin Pro-C by Apollo. I had a hard enough time convincing myself to buy them and now I need a larger size and did not want to spend the money on another set of Apollos.

There must be something better suited for the high angle of the Rockboot dorsum that blocks the fins from going on all the way. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom