Rock Boots vs Integrated Boots and Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started diving dry last year, using my friends old scubapro suit which has socks and rock boots. I had a minor problem with floaty feet, which was readily corrected with Jet Fins. I just started diving my new Seaskin suit which has integrated boots, and was having a significant problem with floaty feet, even with Jet Fins. So I'm wondering if having rock boots laced up on your feet allows for less air into the socks, in comparison to the amount of air that gets into the integrated boots. Anyone have a similar experience, or thoughts on what the problem may be? Thanks.

It’s why I never recommend built in boots, neoprene socks are just more versatile, wearing size 15 also helps steer me in that direction.

If you have thin calves and a lot of drysuit material around them, then look at gaiters to reduce the dead space there too.

I also prefer neoprene socks and rock boots.

Currently using neoprene socks inside my old wetsuit booties, and I have absolutely no floaty feet issues. Nice and snug. If I get more serious, I might poke a tiny drainage hole or two in the booties.

Before my new drysuit, I'd have serious floaty feet issues with attached boots. And for other bad reasons, I'd have to rely on floaty feet to keep trim. :tired:

As I have to change my boots since they're just barely big enough, maybe I'll go the route of the socks and rock boots. If there's anyone out there who has changed boots, or boots to socks, would you send me a PM so I can discuss the procedure with you. Thanks.

For me, sock foot/rock boots and gaiters. Folks like to nit-pick about gaiters, but I'm just more comfortable diving them.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom