Rock boots or Turbo Soles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having major issues deciding up on the details/options on my soon to be ordered DUI CLX 450. I have no experience of either non neoprene suits and DUI whatsoever. I don't even have a store where I can go and check them out. So, I'm left to the internet to figure this out. I've learned not to ask too many questions in the same thread so I'm starting with the boots.
I have a neo suit with (like most neo suits) neo boots attached. After almost 10 years of diving and no service/replacement, my neo suit is not leaking or has any other problems than the I think I will have to replace the latex neck and wrist seals now.
The sole of the boots is as good as new.
I dive from boats and from shore. I do approx 30 dives per year.

I have size 10 in shoes, I use a scubapro jetfin copy (Aquarius jetfin) size L-XL.

What boots should I go for? Turbo och Rock?
I was thinking of Turbo but perhaps I'm wrong!?
I don't really know why I should pick one over the other other than it seems annoying to have to bring yet another item (rock boots). On the other hand I'm happy to use a separate hood as the benefits outwins the drawbacks (make it possible to dry it in the warm cabin or switch to a dry one between the cold dives). Not that I think that is a reason to go for rock boots, but it shows that often the obvious is not the best in the end. So...

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm having major issues deciding up on the details/options on my soon to be ordered DUI CLX 450. I have no experience of either non neoprene suits and DUI whatsoever. I don't even have a store where I can go and check them out. So, I'm left to the internet to figure this out. I've learned not to ask too many questions in the same thread so I'm starting with the boots.
I have a neo suit with (like most neo suits) neo boots attached. After almost 10 years of diving and no service/replacement, my neo suit is not leaking or has any other problems than the I think I will have to replace the latex neck and wrist seals now.
The sole of the boots is as good as new.
I dive from boats and from shore. I do approx 30 dives per year.

I have size 10 in shoes, I use a scubapro jetfin copy (Aquarius jetfin) size L-XL.

What boots should I go for? Turbo och Rock?
I was thinking of Turbo but perhaps I'm wrong!?
I don't really know why I should pick one over the other other than it seems annoying to have to bring yet another item (rock boots). On the other hand I'm happy to use a separate hood as the benefits outwins the drawbacks (make it possible to dry it in the warm cabin or switch to a dry one between the cold dives). Not that I think that is a reason to go for rock boots, but it shows that often the obvious is not the best in the end. So...

Thanks!

There will be tons of opinion here soon. I do like the turbo soles, but my latest pair ripped after less than 6 dives. I'm thinking defective material? I also have rock boots on another suit. Overall, the rock boots are a pain as they are clumsier to get on and off, are another thing to think about and forget?, may require getting some new fins...if you are a turbo sole user already. However, if you are climbing a lot, need an occasional extra layer of protection (from the thin attached socks that go into the boot) they are the right call. Hardcore cave divers do not like rock boots though.

Cheers,

X

p.s. I do have to say that I never have to worry about someone dropping something too heavy on a rockbooted foot. With a turbo sole - ouch!

Whether to get Rock Boots or Turbo Soles is a personal choice depending mainly on where you dive and the conditions. Rock Boots are great if you need to walk over, um, well, rocks and stuff to get into the water. I found Rock Boots to be VERY uncomfortable in the water and on land. The neoprene sock stuffed into the rock boot would always get folded over or have a seam laying the wrong way and hurt like heck. Hate them.

Since 99% of my diving is off a boat I have Turbo Soles on my DUI dry suits. Basically neoprene socks with a thick rubber sneaker-like sole built in. I wouldn't want to walk a mile in them, but for standing around on a boat or walking across the parking lot to the steps down to a spring they are fine.

I have size 10 feet and wear XL Jets with spring straps that fit perfectly over my dry suit's XL Turbo Soles and over my ScubaPro Delta size 10 wetsuit booties.

Rock boots can be clumsy and may require the purchase of new fins. As posted earlier they are an additional piece of equipment that you may forget. I have them due to the fact that I am required to climb over rocks and am in situations where turbo soles would be vulnerable. That said, I have come to enjoy them and am very used to wearing them.

Hardcore cave divers do not like rock boots though.
Rock Boots tend to give you less ankle flexibility for precision kicks - fin sculling in particular can be more difficult with Rock Boots. Turbo Soles also give you more choices for insulation - I use the Thinsulate booties for most of my dives, and my feet stay comfy and warm.

I have a TLS 350 that is almost 10 years old, and the Turbo Soles have held up nicely, even climbing in and out of sinkholes (we didn't always have those fancy steps, you know :wink:). I have had to have them patched a couple of times, but overall they have lasted pretty well. I would not consider Rock Boots under any circumstances.

I've seen it mentioned several times that the Turbo Soles run a little large. Mine did, and I finally sent the suit back to have them replaced with a smaller size. If you can find a pair to try on for size it might be a good thing. You can also order the bare Turbo Soles from DUI and then send them back to have them installed.

I've seen it mentioned several times that the Turbo Soles run a little large. Mine did, and I finally sent the suit back to have them replaced with a smaller size. If you can find a pair to try on for size it might be a good thing. You can also order the bare Turbo Soles from DUI and then send them back to have them installed.

Thanks for that info!
I don't have the chance to test (no DUI dealers in my area), so it's all internet for me! :(

It would be super duper nice of you, if you could do this for me (and others reading this thread!):

1. Measure your feet, width and length.
2. Tell me your shoe size
3. Tell me what DUI Turbo Soles size that were too big, and which fit.
4. Tell me what fins you have and the size of them.

/Fota

I don't have the chance to test (no DUI dealers in my area), so it's all internet for me! :(
The person who fitted me for my TLS actually traced an outline of my feet to send in with the order for the suit. You might try that when you order yours - I got the impression that was SOP for measuring people for a DUI drysuit. Make sure you tell them what thickness booties you plan to wear - the neoprene on the Turbo Sole stretches a little, but if you ever plan to wear thick booties (like the Thinsulates), then you need to leave room for those when select a size.

The person who fitted me for my TLS actually traced an outline of my feet to send in with the order for the suit. You might try that when you order yours - I got the impression that was SOP for measuring people for a DUI drysuit. Make sure you tell them what thickness booties you plan to wear - the neoprene on the Turbo Sole stretches a little, but if you ever plan to wear thick booties (like the Thinsulates), then you need to leave room for those when select a size.
IIRC, DUI sizes for 400g booties, by default. That means the TurboSoles are huge if you're right on the border between two sizes, as I apparently was. If you won't be wearing the really puffy 400g booties, undercutting by one size from their default is a very good idea. The default had almost an inch of heel sticking out the back when I wore my fins, was very baggie, and made me feel like Bigfoot.

That said, I still wear 400g booties, but prefer the smaller of the two sizes - "one size below what they think I need." It's a little tight to get my feet into the neoprene socks/TS, but once they're in, it's not squeezed or uncomfortable at all, and it fits a LOT better.

I love my DUI suit (when it finally got made right) but really despise both of DUI's foot options. Diving Concepts has some much better hard-soled boots for the drysuit that actually have a real sole and heel on them, but aren't bulky or buoyant at all. When these neoprene TurboSoles wear out, I'll probably make the suit into a Frankensuit and use some real attached boots instead of the somewhat hokey TurboSoles (or the wretched Rock Boots...ugh...)

I have been asking similar questions. DUI tells me use Rock Boots, but noted that the new turbo soles may be worth considering (I don't know what the change is). One LDS says get the Turbo Soles, the other says the sock with either Rock Boot or just a wetsuit type boot over it.

I still haven't ordered but am strongly considering the CLX450.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom