Roberta's Dive Shack Opinions and Dive Site Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Andrew Dawson Gloves (& knives) are not allowed in the marine park (which covers most, but not all, of the reefs on the west side of the island -- to discourage touching reefs/creatures. We do bring trilobite-type cutters but have not had to use them (no fishing allowed in the marine park either).

We do have Nautilus trackers -- a little peace of mind with drift diving. However, in general the boats are great at keeping up with divers, and there are generally a good bit of other boats passing by -- especially in the marine park area. If you are diving the reefs up north, there would be less traffic and a slight bit more possibility of taking a long drift.

Warmth is subject to personal preference, but we've never felt any need for a hood (especially in summer, when we sometimes just dive in T-shirt and swimsuits). Similarly, we usually leave our 5mm booties at home and prefer 2mm short boots for diving and snorkeling.

And (since you didn't mention) I'd say bring lights also -- we have had great night dives in Cozumel, and always carry our smaller lights with us during the day for swim-throughs and peeking into crevices, etc.
Cozumel_Reefs_-_2019_-_small.jpg

Awesome info, guys!! Ver much appreciated!! I will leave the gloves at home, reluctantly...no intention of touching anything...but I just prefer gloves.

Yes, LIGHTS! I will bring my XTAR D26 lights, batts, and charger.

What about DIN tank valves? I have on DIN/yoke adapter...but two sets of regs...probably better bring another adapter, eh? Or just ask Roberta to borrow 1 or 2...

I always bring a din converter. I dive in Cozumel a lot. Most dive shops have them but last year I was on a boat where 5 of the 6 divers on board needed one....happy I had mine. In August the water should be mid 80s. I wear a 3mil because I get cold quick. My husband wears a 1/2 mil. I don’t know that you will need a boat coat in August. Air temp is high 80s into the 90s. I bring one with me November to April. Have fun on your trip!

So I have 3 of their t-shirts and a boatload of memories and video. Great people and great dive shop. The rooms are just fine! The last time I went, the toilet paper still had to go into a basket, so if this is your first time just be warned.

If the blue food truck is around the corner then get the tortas. You won't be disappointed.

We always go to Coz as as a group, stay at Roberta's and go to almost any of the sites at our request as the boat was ours for each trip.

If you don't enjoy the facility, the dive shop or the crews then you need to re adjust you fun index.

Either could I! Some one suggested it in an earlier response!

that was me and for some reason I was thinking his trip was next month. We don’t bring our boat coats in summer or fall before December.

Actually Roberta’s Shack has about a dozen boat coats to borrow. They are old and worn, but they are free. I used one after a night dive a few weeks ago when we were coming back in pouring rain, and so did everyone aboard. Didn’t need it for any of the day trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom