Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Pyle is famed for, among other things, surviving a chamber ride at 6.0 Bar O2 with no ill effects.
Going above 1.4Bar (New School) or 1.6Bar (Old School) or even 2.8Bar (Italian Navy RB divers) for less than 30 minutes is unlikely to kill you.

Michael
Well, although Italian COMSUBIN divers are trained to use their ARO pure oxygen rebreathers down to 25 meters, they do it with the trick of starting with their lungs full of air, and some air in the counterlung, so the ppO2 never goes above 2.0 bar.
This was the safe limit for short dives when I was trained and certified in 1975. In fact my cert says "ARO down to 10m max". This was without the trick of starting with the system full of air instead of pure oxygen...
But there was a safety curve, with a time limit at any depth, from 6m (infinite time) down to 18m (10 minutes).

that is the same trick us divers use on the larv , dave sutton did it on his o2 unit to 120 feet i believe ....and lived

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

OK, folks several 'personal' exchanges have been deleted. Please keep the discussion on a civil level, focus on facts and reasoned discussion, and leave personal comments out of the thread. Thanks in advance.

Updates on the Tragic Death of Rob Stewart • Scuba Diver Life
Haven’t seen this article discussed yet. Stewart held many advanced certifications including trimix instructor and advanced trimix instructor. He was also a rebreather instructor on a different unit than the Revo he was diving. Going to be hard to argue that he was just following his instructor with his extensive training background.

Wow. You guys are sounding a lot like FB at the moment. Let's all take a chill pill with the accusations and counter-accusations. A lot of work was put into this and while I don't agree with all the conclusions or even some of the predicates, I'm sure some will find value. For that matter, I doubt I will agree with the court's final decisions here. I don't feel at liberty to divulge my opinion on certain aspects of this, so I will simply read and pontificate on what I feel can't get me into legal trouble.

Thank you for this post. I agree, the vitriol on this forum sometimes astonishes me. I'm not a full time rebreather diver. I'm quite open about having only taken one week long course while I was filming and writing. If people read the book, they will see I'm quite transparent about my credentials. If I needed an expert I found one to interpret data for me. That's how it works.

I agree, the vitriol on this forum sometimes astonishes me.
Please don't blame the forum. It's my opinion that we are pretty tame compared to most platforms out there. Neither you nor your detractors are blameless in this banal squabble.

Please don't blame the forum. It's my opinion that we are pretty tame compared to most platforms out there. Neither you nor your detractors are blameless in this banal squabble.

With respect, I will add that every study I've seen says that the more anonymity that is allowed on any social media platforms, the higher the rates of bullying and aggressive behavior. I would suggest that the most vitriolic comments on this forum are often from people who do not show their identity. Having said that, I acknowledge that I've been snarky at times as well.

With respect, I will add that every study I've seen says that the more anonymity that is allowed on any social media platforms, the higher the rates of bullying and aggressive behavior.
I would phrase this differently. I am more likely to tell you what I really think if my home, family, and self are protected. If you wish to call that aggressive, feel free.
I will add that what you are trying to do now is sell your book. I hope you are paying SB for that privilege.

I would phrase this differently. I am more likely to tell you what I really think if my home, family, and self are protected. If you wish to call that aggressive, feel free.
I will add that what you are trying to do now is sell your book. I hope you are paying SB for that privilege.

I will bet that you have not read any of the current studies on this topic. So maybe you might want to educate yourself first and then express an opinion. See attached report.

Attachments

• Online Harassment Pew Research Centre.pdf
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 133
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom