Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only problem I have with AKR is the ridiculous difference between A/C rooms and those without. I realize that there are a few other differences in the rooms, but none that justify the price span. The food is good, the staff is excellent and the dive boats are the best on the island, by far. If you decide to go with them, I am sure you will greatly enjoy your stay. I have been to Roatan numerous times (20 or so) and have stayed with quite a few resorts. AKR is one of the best.

I'm with you...almost. I REALLY like AKR. It is a great resort run by great people in a very professional manner. But I agree the price difference with or without A/C is bordering ridiculous. We visit Roatan three or four times a year, so every little bit helps. I must respectfully disagree about the boats though. Yes, they are new and nice - but they certainly don't take the waves well. For someone who suffers from motion sickness, that can be really difficult when the seas are stirred up on the north side of the island :confused::confused::confused:

The cost of electricity on Roatan is one of the highest in the entire world. Air conditioners don't last long on the island because of the hot humid salt air. Based on reports from property owners, believe it or not, it is possible to use $100 or more in electricity easily in a week.

I think we spoiled Americans that have incredibly cheap electric and even gasoline, easily forget the cost of those items in other countries. The labor on Roatan is very cheap so overall rates for resorts are ridiculously low compared to some other areas so paying a fair price for electiricy just doesn't seem to be out of line. I lived for 4 months on Utila without air conditioning so I can pretty well assure you that if you can't spend the extra $200, don't and just sweat a tiny bit.

I charge $75 US per week for a/c in two bedrooms, I lose money unless visitors are very concious about use

The cost of electricity on Roatan is one of the highest in the entire world. Air conditioners don't last long on the island because of the hot humid salt air. Based on reports from property owners, believe it or not, it is possible to use $100 or more in electricity easily in a week.

I think we spoiled Americans that have incredibly cheap electric and even gasoline, easily forget the cost of those items in other countries. The labor on Roatan is very cheap so overall rates for resorts are ridiculously low compared to some other areas so paying a fair price for electiricy just doesn't seem to be out of line. I lived for 4 months on Utila without air conditioning so I can pretty well assure you that if you can't spend the extra $200, don't and just sweat a tiny bit.

Unless you are a female over the age of 40, don't you dare tell me to "just sweat a tiny bit" :mooner::D:D

Unless you are a female over the age of 40, don't you dare tell me to "just sweat a tiny bit" :mooner::D:D

I'm not but I live with one. I know everyone is different. My wife reminds me frequently. :rofl3:

Well it's a done deal.

The vacation is booked and credit cards charged. Now it just can't come soon enough.

And since I am a female over 40 we decided on the AC room...keeping the peace is sometimes worth a few bucks.:D

Sandra

Smart girl...you'll have the time of your life! Please don't hesitate to ask questions :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom