Roatan Yes or No

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormingheaven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend and I have a chance to go to Roatan early this spring for a week of diving. I am a newbie with only a few dives after my OW. My friend has never dived before but has his class scheduled. He is crazy about the idea of learning how to dive and has already ponied up a bunch of money for new gear. He would finish his OW in Roatan and it would be the same instructor as his confined water class as he is going on this trip too.

We would be going to the Fantasy Island resort and would be doing 3 boat dives a day and unlimited shore dives. My LDS is putting on the trip and the folks that are going are all from around the area, some others would be finishing their OW there as well. My LDS says that being a newbie on this trip is no problem and it would be a great place to put some dives under our belts with our instructor close by. I thought about taking the wife's to Key West so we could do some diving and the wife's could get away too but the cost is 4 times what the Roatan trip would be and we have our wife's blessing if we want to go on a "man trip".

Any in site would be very helpful.

A friend and I have a chance to go to Roatan early this spring for a week of diving. I am a newbie with only a few dives after my OW. My friend has never dived before but has his class scheduled. He is crazy about the idea of learning how to dive and has already ponied up a bunch of money for new gear. He would finish his OW in Roatan and it would be the same instructor as his confined water class as he is going on this trip too.

We would be going to the Fantasy Island resort and would be doing 3 boat dives a day and unlimited shore dives. My LDS is putting on the trip and the folks that are going are all from around the area, some others would be finishing their OW there as well. My LDS says that being a newbie on this trip is no problem and it would be a great place to put some dives under our belts with our instructor close by. I thought about taking the wife's to Key West so we could do some diving and the wife's could get away too but the cost is 4 times what the Roatan trip would be and we have our wife's blessing if we want to go on a "man trip".

Any in site would be very helpful.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I say go, go, go!

Roatan is a fun place with good diving (I stayed across the inlet at Coco View). Great shore diving directly off the beach into the inlet - you can do two walls, a wrecked boat, and an airplane wreck on the same dive. Good place to learn a lot fast and build up some experience. Have not stayed with Fantasy but was pleased with CoCo. Have a good time.

If you got the money and time, GO! I haven't been to Fantasy Island but have heard nothing but good things... really good things. Sounds like a fun few days to me.

Definitely ... Roatan's very user-friendly for newer divers. Enjoy, log lots of bottom time ... that's how you truly learn to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Stormingheaven,

I was just there on a cruise a couple of weeks ago. Did Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. All were wonderful (my first reef dives ever), but Roatan was the best. The told us that all the other reefs had had some recent hurricane damage but not Roatan. It was almost a spiritual experience for me. My wife and I are booked for a week at Fantasy Island in late June with our LDS. The owner has been there several times and really likes it. I'd love to hear a report when you get back. Have fun!

Doug

Roatan was the first trip I took my Fiance on and she loved it. I also really like roatan. Youll have a good time.

I did my OW in Roatan with my LDS at the CoCoview and loved it. Take a pic of the Prince Albert for me.

Great diving. Just don't go out alone after dark, especially along the beach, and take plenty of DEET.

Back
Top Bottom