Roatan Weather History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
To avoid another episode with sea lice next year, I need to move our trip date to May.

Doc....can you tell me what the weather conditions generally are in May in Roatan? Not concerned with rain so much as heat and the sea conditions. In April we still get some east winds that make for some rough seas. After this year, I could really use some flat water!

Dee,

We were on the north side last year in mid may. The weather was fairly warm, but quite windy. Wind was coming generally from southeast over the mountains, and conditions were reportedly very rough on the south side. During the entire week, only one trip to Mary's Place went from AKR and only one of the planned trips to the other islands went. Several people came over from Fantasy Island and dove with us at AKR due to the rough conditions on the south side. We didn't really have a big problem with the thimble jellies during our trip. Wife got hit once, very minor stings on her leg. Reports from the south side were that there were some larger concentrations, but that they were generally not a problem there either.

One of the DMs commented that usually by the middle of May the wind has died down some, and she acted like the rough conditions in May 2003 were unusual.

I posted a trip report as TxAgs92 on Scubadiving.com if you want to look at anymore information about weather conditions.

Good Luck!

Dee:
To avoid another episode with sea lice next year, I need to move our trip date to May.

Doc....can you tell me what the weather conditions generally are in May in Roatan? Not concerned with rain so much as heat and the sea conditions. In April we still get some east winds that make for some rough seas. After this year, I could really use some flat water!

Jeez- in all these many years I've never been liced. Must be my good fortune, dunno.

In May, it is the best part of April. :D It is the continuation of the dry months, prolly the bestest time to go to Roatan. All I could give you was my experience, and without looking at my log book, its my favorite time of the year.

As you know, Dee, there is a considerable difference between the boats abandoned by the FI divers versus the CCV boats. All said however, your March through May will be breezier on the South side than other months.

Remember that the prevailing breeze is ESE, a wonderful thing when you are considering no-see-ums and happily vacationing on the South side of Roatan. When real weather comes in, it completely shuts down the North side operations, leaving the South pretty doable.

In all the years at CCV diving, I have never missed a dive but for maybe two days out of 60+ weeks there. Truly- many boat dives were passed on for shore dives, but none were missed... and those missed were all in Sep-Jan.

In short, I dunno. Just go and hope for the best. Can't beat April/May in my book.

Then again, last August was pretty good, too. Seems like it hasn't been dry in january for years.

You were wet anyway.

I agree, if I'm gonna be on a boat in windy seas I want it to be a CCV boat. Although the Yellow boat could use some hand rails at the back! I have to admit the 4-5 days of stiff breeze was great for the no-seeums and keeping it cooler. But last years pancake flat water was well worth the bug bites and sweat.

Looks like May 21-28 will be our target next year.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom