Roatan vs (San Andres+) Providencia - End of year? (1st week of Jan 2014)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Richard - again, appreciate the input and info! Besides Doc's note on the FIBR dive shop, I'd read a couple of other positive comments (think one was outside of SB). Speaking with the dive shop mgr also made me feel good about trying them out.
For me - it's just about the diving, so I'm happy if I have a clean room, decent food, & most importantly a good dive operation+house reef.
Will most definitely report back on how things go.

Couple of other questions, in case someone can chime-in - FIBR dive shop:
1. There was mention of "1 night dive per wk", however I'm bringing my own lights & will do a lot of (house reef) shore dives, any issues with this? (block/lock access to the gazebo at night? some reason I can't think of why nighttime shore dives would be a problem?
#1 leads me to the next (related) question... [ being lazy asking here, as I think someone might know from experience, but am gonna research online as well ]
2. Storing gear - I'm assuming I'll rinse/leave gear at the dive shop, for boat diving, but would there be an issue storing gear in my room/on patio? Reason for asking is about my doing some casual shore late afternoon/night dives.
Doing some random boat dive-night dive one night sounds great, but I'm really content to do my night dives poking around the house reef(s):
Coco view wall, Numans wall, Prince Albert ship wreck / plane.

I don't mind a long surface swim if that helps getting to different spots for night dives.
Re: New Year's Eve
That's go me thinking... I love night dives, so hoping Roatan doesn't disappoint & there are no issues from FIBR for these, that since I'll be there for New Year's Eve - might have to ring in the new year u/w. Haven't done that in many years! Not since married, so would have to see if spouse is up for it. Back in Monterey, CA (my old stomping grounds) the trick was to take a bottle of champagne down along & pass it round @ midnight (keep it turned upsidedown).

BTW - When I had searched for notes of shore dives, found reivews/comments here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Newman's Wall of Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

Re: price - CCV v FIBR
We would've booked with CCV (actually made deposited then spouse changed mind) had the price been closer. However, for the $667 (not counting alcohol) savings I figure I could use that $ to purchase a 2nd Sola1200 dive light for my camera. ;-)
I was also interested to learn that it's 3x boat dives (sites) vs 2x at CCV.
I'm gonna take the advice & ask them to drop me off somewhere along house reef on the way back from the afternoon boat dive. Minimize the gear hauling & maximize the u/w time.

Also, like Doc's mentioned - looking forward to searching out the little stuff, & doing some macro photography/video.

Again - thanks much to all for feedback!

Back
Top Bottom