Roatan vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flofish94

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I'm a very new diver. I've been diving in Cozumel for the last 3 summers and have never been diving anywhere else. I thought diving in Cozumel was very pretty, lots of marines life, beautiful walls and coral reefs, nice drift diving, sometimes currents are so crazy and strong, it is scary...I wonder how's diving in Roatan compare to Cozumel, marines life, reefs, walls, drift diving... wise. I would like to travel to Roatan for my next diving trip. If anyone had dives in those two places please comments, give me some input for my next trip...I can dive Cozumel for the next 10 trips and be very happy....but how is Roatan....I always wonder....Thanks everyone for your input.

I have dove both places and my preference for diving is Roatan. I believe that the reef is heathier and the macro life is more abundant. The lack of current gives you more oppurtunity to see all the critters. In Cozumel, the currents make it hard to stop to take good pictures, but it can be done. There are a few areas that are drift diving in Roatan, but the majority is anchored. Other than diving, there is not a whole lot to do on Roatan as compared to Cozumel. Cozumel is definitely more tourist oriented.

RickyF gives some good advice.

Just remember that Roatan's dive sites are far-flung and very distinct from each other in terms of operational zones. I'll guess and say that what RickyF was describing was diving along the South side. I do know that he has posted about diving in that zone. I agree, it is full of abundant macro- it is my favorite zone on Roatan as well, along the South shore.

As limited as the other diversions are (compared to Cozumel), Roatan amuses folks for a week, but that zone is the West End, which also offers diving where you'll see some larger fish and critters instead of the nursery of the South.

You can not access both during a week-long stay at just one property.

I've been diving in Cozumel for the last 3 summers and have never been diving anywhere else.

Long past time to get out and have a look around!

I think Doc and Ricky have pretty much summed it up for you...I have been to Roatan and Cozumel many times and love them both for different reasons....I never compare places I have been... I love each place for its own unique type of diving....branch out dive Roatan for a change I think you will love it....lots to see if you go really slow

Cozumel - near other things - Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Cenotes, etc...
Roatan - not near anything that people will really normally venture over to

Mexican / Hondurans very different people

Roatan is more tropical gilligan island like

Roatan great beaches, Cozumel not really

Cozumel more places offer shore diving, Roatan not really unless you are staying at one of a couple of specific resorts then it shore diving out the butt

Roatan the dive sites are usually less then 15 minutes away, generally more like 5-10 minutes, Cozumel farther away going north and south

Cozumel - more consistency to the diving - more fish life, healthier reefs in general all over, immense coral reef structures, Roatan healthy reefs but not as consistent

Roatan has year round shark dive site, Cozumel has the bull sharks over at Playa but not year round

Diving cost is a bit cheaper on Roatan

Way more dive operation choices on Cozumel

Port doesnt get closed on Roatan and shut down your diving

Dive community way, way more varied on Roatan, compared to Cozumel and Mexico's draconian immigration policies that keep most dive staff there Mexican

Roatan feels more generically tropical and Cozumel feels like you're definitely in Mexico

Dive community on Cozumel way, way more consistently more experienced, not a negative to Roatan, doesn't mean Roatan's dive community is under experienced, just have never seen any other place where dive community has so much dive experience

Roatan is way more dive instruction oriented then Cozumel, many, many more people will do dive master training and such on Roatan than Cozumel

Food is more varied on Roatan even though there are way, way, way less restaurants than on Cozumel

Less cruise ship influence on Roatan than Cozumel, Cozumel runs on the cruise ship schedule, Roatan not at all

Dive sites more varied on Cozumel than Roatan

Cozumel's main tourist town San Miguel is vastly larger and wildly more busy than Roatan's sleepy tiny tourist area West End

Roatan is more tropical gilligan island like....

That and everything else, nice comparison!

If you have already been to Coz a few times, try someplace new. Roatan has some great diving. I loved the diving and atmosphere of Coco View Resort.

I was at Roatan in April and Cozumel in July. Both places have something unique to offer.

El Aguila and Odessey are amazing, swim through each wreck is fun. However the coral formation pales in comparison with Punta Sur.

Toadfish in Roatan is huge and a little scary, toadfish in Cozumel is cute, colorful and... well, splendid! It's like the difference between a rottweiler and a chihuahua.

Drift in Cozumel can be a little scary for first couple dives, but becomes pretty fun after getting use to it, and there are dive sites in Cozumel that are relatively calm. So call "drift dive" in Roatain is... are you kidding? The water in the lazy river of town's family aquatic center flows faster!

Roatan's dive sites are usually a quick 10 minutes boat ride. Sometime I am there after finish up setting the equipment. Cozumel's dive sites take longer to get to, giving me more time to get ready and socialize with other divers.

At night, standing at shore of my resort at Roatan, when I shine my flashlight into the water, I can see sea star, baby lobster, baby trumpet fish, baby barracuda. It makes me wonder why I have to descend to 30" of water to see them.

At Cozumel, I feel comfortable to walk outside of hotel and go to San Miguel to explore around. At Roatan, I am basically confined to my resort at night. However, I can see more stars in the night sky at Roatan.

"LOVEOCEANICGEARS" why on earth would you be confined to your resort at night on roatan?
yes the absence of senor frogs and margarittavilles can be intimidating but still, one should venture out . you never know you might happen upon friendly locals and non-franchise restaurants. oh, the horrors of international travel.

Shore diving differs by location. Compare threads of CocoView at Roatan with Scuba Club at Cozumel.

Some Cozumel op.s (Living Underwater, Aldora) have big steel tanks (120 cf I believe); haven't read that yet about Roatan. An air hog boat diver with no interest in shore diving would consider that important.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom