Roatan/Utila information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good internet site to find out information on current costs to get in and out of Honduras? I have also heard there is a new marine park fee (which I am all for, I hope they use it for that). Any information on this? Gotta make sure I have enough money left to get out of the country, although there are worse places to be stuck.

TAXES: Departure taxes approximately $32 is not included in your package. Hotel taxes of 12% are charged.

"

Effective November 14, 2005, dive shops operating within the Sandy Bay West End Marine Park will implement a US$5.00 user’s fee for every diver. In appreciation for your contribution, each diver will receive a dive tag that will grant them diving access within the marine park for that calendar year.

100% of the funds generated from the purchase of these dive tags will go to the marine park and help us continue conservation efforts. Thank you for diving and helping to protect these incredible reefs for future generations.

"

The above is from SCUBABoard, CoCoViewResort.com and GOOGLE.

This fee is being used to pay for permanent moorings on the North and West sides, as the South side already has many moorings placed by one resort over the years.

There is much less fishing near the Marine Reserve, so you are assured of finding many of the fish that you know and can id from the Caribbean. The South side is a bit different in that the shallow protected walls harbor micro creatures that are a bit harder to get a handle on... SeaHorses, Pipefish, tiny Crustaceans, etc.

Thanks Doc. I was told the departure was $30, then I heard $32, & someone said it might be $35 now, so it is good to know for sure.

wb416:
it probably varies a bit... was $32.32 the day we left a couple of weeks ago

Was it a Saturday? What direction was the wind blowing?

Utila has a $3 per day marine park fee that is charged with all scuba dives, fishing, or other aquatic activities. When I was there last month I was told there was talk about raising that to $4 or $5 next year.

chuck41:
Utila has a $3 per day marine park fee that is charged with all scuba dives, fishing, or other aquatic activities. When I was there last month I was told there was talk about raising that to $4 or $5 next year.
Thats good info, since I will probably only dive Roatan for one day before heading over to Utila for the rest of the 2 weeks.

wb416:
It WAS a Saturday, but danged if I recall which way the wind was blowing, but I'm guessing it was from the NorthEast. :D

Were there two brown dogs by the carport area or just one?

:lol: Okay, all joking aside. It's Central America, and on top of that, it's Honduras! Take a number of US one Dollar bills and be ready to flex and bend.

With any luck at all, some of the monies will begin to stay for use in the Bay Islands.

Hi Kent 1848,

Current (6/8/06, subject to change as the wind blows) departure tax from your final airport deaprting back to the US is $32.00
There is an inter/intra (?) country tax ranging between $.32 to $2.00 on local flights. From Roatan to Utila I think it's L20.00 (about $1.20).

Utila's current Reef Fee is $3.00 per person, per diving day. There is talk of raising it to either $4.00 or $5.00 to support maintaining the buoy systems, and patroling, but that hasn't gone into effect yet as of this writing.

Sales tax is 12%, Liquor tax 15%, and hotel tax 16%.

Hope the info helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom