Roatan trip Nov or Feb from Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scratch_Monkey , brilliant post, please allow me to clarify some wording…

I see what you meant, the distance from room to beach is the variable.

It might be misinterpreted. The walk between West End and West Bay looks inviting and quite do-able. Do not go there, locals avoid this wooded area. Tourists stumbling through here are treading dangerously, not a week goes by without something negative happening.

Take the water taxi.
Thanks for calling that out. I edited my post so hopefully it's more clear. I have done that walk between West End and West Bay a few times. It is not straight forward as you have to scramble over rocks in some places. And when we were there in June it looked like that beach was way more developed than in the past.

Is your concern around crime? Or just the fact that it's not a super straight forward walk? Or that it's longer than it looks?

Is your concern around crime? Or just the fact that it's not a super straight forward walk? Or that it's longer than it looks?
Crime. Used to be a hand lettered warning sign there. Easily avoided, take the water taxi. Nothing to fret over, otherwise.

As they say, Its a drinking island with a diving problem. I have no idea what people do on the island if you're not into either of the those.

Reactions: Doc
. On the less seasonally weather affected South side, you have but one viable option, it is Media Luna Resort, i believe it’s an HMR (Henry Morgan) and they speak fluent Canoodlian, big traffic from the Great White North. They have a close-in shore snorkel- if weather permits- but their outsourced dive op is snorkel-centric.
Media Luna has been closed for awhile (due to pandemic I believe) and it doesn’t sound like they have plans to open it any time soon.

Media Luna has been closed for awhile (due to pandemic I believe) and it doesn’t sound like they have plans to open it any time soon.
Drag.
(MLR) Media Luna catered mostly to day-dive cruise shippers and offers spa-services to the spouses and others. The weeklong people were Canadian package travelers, again, i think Henary Morgan (HMR). <- that all might be wrong, it’s just my best recollection. I am sure that their dive-op came from an outside vendor, maybe Subway?

Fantasy Island (FIR or FIBR) is also inoperative which is an improvement over the last five years. It was a hot mess for the last 20 years.

Other South side options…but irrelevant to this OP? Look at (BFK) Barefoot Key, and also (RHR) Reef House Resort. RHR has changed it’s model in peculiar ways to try surviving these new and trying times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom