Roatan reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from CCV last night. We went expecting to look for small stuff and found plenty. Agree that reefs lack color, but the walls have great structure and lots of nice hard coral. Viz was not great, 20-30 feet, and there was a milky/silty cast to the water. But, went for the small stuff and left happy. My review is posted separately.

Rob

I took 2 trips last year to cocoview. My very first trip was 2011. I can tell you the reef is nothing like it was in 2011... The visibility sucks when it rains due to the run off. The clearing and development of the island is killing the via and evidently the earthquakes just destroyed all the huge lettuce hard coral fields, they are in rubble now. Marys place and Calvin's is stripped, All the stuff is still there, it's just you can see the pressure on the reef from years of divers and crap. You may ask why I took 2 trips to cocoview Almost months apart if it's so different now, well. I'm a solo diver and I love cocoviews setup. I love being able to do what I want, when I want. I love to troll around in the front yard and search the coral heads, it's great. BTW, Palau, when I was there the blue corner was stripped as well from dive pressure, so it's not just Roatan. I do wonder if there is a better value out there..After you add everything up cocoview can actually be fairly expensive but it's great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom