Roatan Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for the input regarding the best Roatan dive resort options. I went ahead and put a deposit on the Reefhouse because I felt it provided the best value in terms of diving options, accommodations (with A/C) when comparing the final price. The best deal is actually the BOGO free deal at AKR, however, the fact that they even have non-A/C rooms available still for the date we are looking at makes me think those in the know, know that no A/C is not such a good deal afterall.

I have read a ton of reviews on all the AI dive resorts so I have a pretty good understanding what to expect. I have stayed in several humble accommodations when diving over the years including shacks in Mexico, Blackbeard's boats, some pretty rough SoCal liveaboard dive boats (once in an engine room). The fact is, if the diving is great, the food palatable and I can get enough "shuteye" to do it over again the next day I will be happy.

Doc - Thanks for the amazing detailed shore dive site map at CCV. If our trip is as good as I hope we will likely be back some time-maybe CoCo view, which your efforts will come in more than handy.

Take care all.

Don't neglect any available opportunity to shore dive right in front of RHR. If it's too rough, I've had great result in the shallow "pool" in-shore of their breakwall. Night dive right out front of the main pier as much as you can, weather permitting- no need to use a boat.

Please! Post pix of everything besides what you see underwater. Dive pix are interesting, but fairly universal. Readers want to see the resort, the boats, the rooms, all of the little details that are rarely shown. Help us out, return the favor of this thread.

Here's an oblique space image of RHR:

Pretty close, anyway.

I was unaware of this place. The website looks interesting. The dive package does not offer nearly as much diving as we are hoping to get in. Do you know if there is an option to add afternoon dives. Also, is there decent shore diving close by? Also, their dive operation seems to cater to non-resort guest which makes me wonder of their dive sites will be redundant?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Sorry for being late in responding. I realize you've already made a deposit so I just offer this info for anyone else.

In terms of shore diving, the other posters are correct. Mandy's Eel Garden is the closest shore diving spot at the end of the beach, which is about a 10-15 minute walk. It's not close but I've done it. You are literally 1-2 minutes away from the closest reef spot. If your goal is shore diving, other dive resorts such as Cocoview will offer much more. I'm more of a boat diver.

Las Rocas offers three dives per day. The morning dives (9am & 11am) happen daily. There is an afternoon dive (I don't remember the time) as well. The resort does have non-diving guests. I did all my dive courses (except for my DM) there. The food at the restaurant is really good but I would not do a meal plan. There are several food options on West Bay.

It all comes down to what you prefer. If you want to dive as many times per day as you can, a place like Cocoview would be for you. Cocoview (and others) are dive, dive, dive, dive places. I'm more of a two dives/day + beach person.

One thing I recommend is that you be aware of all the costs and what's included wherever you stay. Each resort does it a little differently. Some resorts include transportation from the airport, but not to the airport (you pay extra). Some include meals, some don't. Some provide free water. Some don't. Some provide free coffee, some don't. Some provide internet, some don't. You get the drift.

Have a great trip!

Suggest you check out Splash Inn Resort. West End Roatan. Roatan Splash Inn Dive Resort Hotel West End Honduras. We have been diving with them for years. It is not an AI. It is centrally located, good boats, good crew, clean rooms and good reasonably priced food. Within walking distance of all bars and restaurants in West End. You can arrange your dive schedule to suit you. Afternoon and night dives. We have a group going for two weeks in June. Rafa, GM and Serena, Dive Operations manager are the main movers and shakers. You may tell them that Paul from Houston mentiond them. Have fun on your trip, whatever you decide.

BTW - where Anthony's says there was nothing available, they do. I called at the beginning of March and they had AC rooms on the key

Las Rocas Resort (Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center). You'll be right next to the end of West Bay Beach. The prices are good. There is A/C in every room but ask for the rooms with the split A/C units. They are quieter.

I would give a +1 for Las Rocas. My wife and I stayed with them on 3 occasions and found them quiet, comfortable and very reasonable. Check the price on the Deluxe bungalow over the Standard. Smaller dive Op. Descent on site restaurant and walking distance to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely TranquilSeas. There is AC, the cabanas have what you need without being fussy, the staff is AWESOME - bar / restaurant on honor system. The dive staff is top notch and it is very small group diving - most days it was just my buddy and I. The dive guide Di there is amazing. We still keep in touch with her, and I can't say enough good things. It is the PERFECT atmosphere for waking up, grabbing a bit, diving, diving, diving, then relaxing with a cold beer on their sundeck overlooking the ocean before going to sleep. Also, the staff takes care of everything - gear set up in the morning, gear washing and locking in the evening. I would suggest bug spray though - lots of sand flies in Roatan (and at TranquilSeas near the pool!)

It is next door to Anthony's Key, which, in my opinion, has too big of groups go out divine. I liked the personal experience we got at TranquilSeas.

Roatan is WONDERFUL and the diving is superb. You will have a great time no matter what! :)

Check out splash inn..Little dive resort in west end, with very confortable acomodation and dive set up..

OP has made his decision, regardless I'll chime in. I stay at Seabreeze Inn and have done for years. While not on the beach, they do have studio units with kitchenettes, one and two bedrooms with full kitchen, all with satellite TV and air conditioning. The prices cannot be beat. Excellent location in the middle of West End. It doesn't have a seaview unless you are on the very top floor enjoying the overall scenery. It didn't take me long to learn to appreciate the flora and hummingbirds though. Very pleasant, peaceful.

I dive with West End Divers, just a hop, skip and a jump from the Seabreeze.

Check them out. Perfect combination for longer stays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom