Roatan October Bugs, Rain and VIZ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to demonstrate your skills dive 1 and 2? I thought that was the certifications are for? I am just curious. We are going next week :)
Not likely any demo test nor invasive check-out process.

They will watch you rig your gear.
They will observe how you organize your space
They will watch you specify & then test your weight amount
They will watch your process for entry
Observe your ability to orient and descend and at what rate
They will watch your buoyancy, your ear clearing
They will note your physicality, hands, general composure, mask fog?
Do you bottom-out, or crash into rocks or others
They will ask you simple u/w questions, like air pressure remaining
How’s your exit up the ladder skills
How do you manage your stuff within your space

So that’s what any DM would/should do as he introduces you to his fragile environment. He is protecting his future and heritage. He is also protecting his job. He is protecting you. He is protecting other customers.

After dive #1, They may split up couples who arrive together, to different boats or different groups within the boat. Go along with their decision.

All I have done is re-phrase and expand my previous answer.

Many dive-ops worldwide take you a first dive that is usually pretty much a lunar landscape. Crashes will crash. Sort ‘em out they will.

I have found that new guest divers who bridle the worst over something an operator dares to call “a check-out dive” are usually the ones most in need of an assist. That’s why most operators drop that phrase altogether. They take you out for a simple “splash and thrash”.

These guys have seen everything. You and I will end a dive with 300psi, They will use their same tank on both of the two boat dives. Get the idea?

They know what they’re seeing pretty quickly. Go with it.

Not likely any demo test nor invasive check-out process.

They will watch you rig your gear.
They will observe how you organize your space
They will watch you specify & then test your weight amount
They will watch your process for entry
Observe your ability to orient and descend and at what rate
They will watch your buoyancy, your ear clearing
They will note your physicality, hands, general composure, mask fog?
Do you bottom-out, or crash into rocks or others
They will ask you simple u/w questions, like air pressure remaining
How’s your exit up the ladder skills
How do you manage your stuff within your space

So that’s what any DM would/should do as he introduces you to his fragile environment. He is protecting his future and heritage. He is also protecting his job. He is protecting you. He is protecting other customers.

After dive #1, They may split up couples who arrive together, to different boats or different groups within the boat. Go along with their decision.

All I have done is re-phrase and expand my previous answer.

Many dive-ops worldwide take you a first dive that is usually pretty much a lunar landscape. Crashes will crash. Sort ‘em out they will.

I have found that new guest divers who bridle the worst over something an operator dares to call “a check-out dive” are usually the ones most in need of an assist. That’s why most operators drop that phrase altogether. They take you out for a simple “splash and thrash”.

These guys have seen everything. You and I will end a dive with 300psi, They will use their same tank on both of the two boat dives. Get the idea?

They know what they’re seeing pretty quickly. Go with it.
Yes, and that all makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your detailed answer. I am a new diver and have done only 36 dives in 3 years but love it.

They are not going to take you out and actually test to see if you now what you are doing. They are going to secretly pay special attention to you to see if you know what you are doing or need additional "assistance". I think all dive shops do this and they do it behind your back. It's their way of breaking the group into folks they have to pay more attention to vs folks they can trust with less experience.

One thing they will note is how fast you go through air. At some point in the week, if they stop specifically asking you half way through the dive what your remaining air is, it's because they've already determined that 1) you don't go through air fast and 2) that you will seek the DM out and let them know if you happen to be going through air faster on that particular dive.
Thank you!! Makes a lot of sense! I was curious because somebody told me you have to demonstrate mask clearing and regulator retrieval which is one, but that is something every diver should be able to do.

Thank you!! Makes a lot of sense! I was curious because somebody told me you have to demonstrate mask clearing and regulator retrieval which is one, but that is something every diver should be able to do.
Hey, it’s their circus, we are but the monkeys.

If they want to see you danice, then dance. You’ll get better and more peanuts

I was in Red Sea with a Liveaboard full of International PADI Course Directors. (Major god level types) The DM had us do all that standard Monkey Stuff, and so we all did it. Yes sir, you’re the DM. Then off we all went on a week of diving freedom.

I've worked as a boat DM for many years and know a lot of boat DMS. I can't speak for Roatan DMs but typically we do all those things Doc mentioned but more as a general observational awareness than a formal checklist process. We are looking for those who may need assistance and trust me we would prefer someone request help or ask "newbie" questions than try to fake it and struggle through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom