Roatan- Just how bad are the bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a week on Roatan and Utila back in April. We were told the horror story of the bugs and came prepared with enough Deet - make sure you get the 98% active - to sink a ship, but it never was a problem. We were diligent at first about applying but got lax and still didn't suffer. Compared to the amazing time (in and out of the water), I would not let the bugs deter you.

On Roatan, we stayed right on West End Beach, dived in the mornings and laid out on the beach in the afternoons. On Utila we stayed at Laguna Beach.

I was worried too and posted something just like this before our trip to Roatan in August. I'd honestly say they weren't as bad as I had expected them to be and it was mostly towards the evening when we made sure to apply something before heading out for dinner. Husband and I came prepared with several varities. Neither of us liked the 100% Deet after a couple times of using it, I preferred something called Naturapel. We also used the cactus juice that they sell down there. Yes we had bites but as long as we took a minute to cover ourselves we weren't bothered too much. We also brought Calamine lotion just in case we got itchy. I wouldn't let them stop me from going back! We stayed at Anthony's Key and had a great time.

I spent a week in november 2006 at fantassy island and the bugs weren't all that bad. We used minimal amounts od repellent (with low amounts of deet) and were fine. the only time we really needed it was when we went to the beach. Then 2-3 sprays, and voila! They left you alone! The rest of the time, we were diving, eating or lounging at the bar.

Bring a bottle of repellent and use it as needed, or when at a beach. You'll be fine...:coffee:

Been there last 2 years during May-June. Found bugs to be almost non-existent at the Reef House. My wife is a bug magnet, and she has no problem there. Don't forget that sand flies are so named for a good reason. If you're in Roatan to dive, avoid a resort with a nice postcard beach. Also, pick your resort on the side of the island that gets onshore winds during your stay, such as the south shore in late spring/early summer. That keeps the bugs off the shoreline. Above all, don't pass up Roatan because someone else was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

[After three weeks, most people become resistant and develop natural antihistamines anyway.

You'll love Bonaire. It has Scorpions. Aint nowhere perfect

After living here in Belize, where we have doctor flies, beef worms (a larvae that develops under your skin, placed there by a mosquito inadvertantly), sandflies (which seem to have different chemisty in their anticoagulants from caye to caye), mosquitos and a couple other nasty, blood sucking insects up towards the mountains, the Philippines seemed almost perfect a couple weeks ago. My daughter, who lives in Hawaii, complained of a few mosquitos where we camped in open air on the beach (West Visayas)...no tent, no screens....nada. I didn't notice anything. Yep, you get bug tolerant living in the Caribbean. Like Doc says, after a month or so, you get a red dot from the sand flies that goes away in a few hours. Maybe it itches for a few minutes.

In West End the bugs are bad in the winter, but mainly early morning and late afternoon/evening.

During the summer, the bugs bite all day long. I use 25% to 30% deet, whatever I can get at Wally World on the cheap.

Different people will have different results even in the same place at the same time. This is why you have such a wide range of replies.

My wife gets almost no bites anywhere where we go, no matter the time of year or the time of day. I get torn up. When she does get bites, they are little red marks, nothing else. I swell up, itch like crazy, etc. I am usually better at using bug repellant. I have tried it all, cutters, deet, cactus juice, combo of all of the above, it just doesn't matter.

If you are one of the people who seem to get bites, you will be bitten. If you are one of the lucky ones who don't get bothered much, I envy you.

Roatan has some of the best bugs I've ever seen, but it won't keep me from going.

Later, Hawk.

I stayed at CoCo View in Aug. and had very little problem. I however started taking garlic pills every morning a few weeks before heading out. I guess it's a good thing i'm single because I smelled a bit of garlic but had no bites. I used deet as well because I enjoyed sitting outside at night. I can't wait to go back.. just an amazing time!

I came back from Fantasy with 100 bites. My dive buddy had 400+. July 2005.

Vanessar

Back
Top Bottom