Roatan Island of Geniuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eseadog

Reaction score
Well last week some geniuses decided to e-vac the resorts on the island and send some of the divers to the mainland. My question is why send mostly English speaking divers to the mainland where everyone speaks Spanish where and when the weather gets bad, things get real bad. Roads and bridges wash out. When the electric goes out it’s out! I think last bad hurricane most the deaths came from the mainland not the islands. See on the island most of us are self contained if the power goes out We turn on the generator we have back up water supply and there are safe hiding places on the island. If anyone watched the weather close not CNN the island was the place to be, there are many sources of good weather info I think the powers to be missed them or what was the real reason to e-vac? The Inn of Last Resort went against the grain I think the only one that did. Divers their got 20 plus hrs bottom time for the week well done The Inn of Last Resort.

Yeh, evacuating seemed madness to me. However I have eard very good reports of how people were treated when they arrived in San Pedro Sula, I was quite surprised that the Honduran tourist board managed to be so well organised.

The inn is certainly in THE perfect little hurricane hole!

Did the turistas have a choice whether to evacuate? I know this may be retrospectrovision, i.e basing my view on the non-event of the storm on the island, but I think I would have ridden it out on the island. Will Wellborn and the other people at Coconuttree have level heads, and in my experience I would have followed their advice. Also, in the event of a hurricane, Sundowners would be a good viewing area, although much like having a drink at the top of the Towering Inferno, if anyone besides Paul Newman actually remembers that movie.

Actually, at age 80+, Paul probably doesn't even remember that movie. Really, I do like Paul's movies. Rent "Hombre" if you haven't seen it for a while. And buy some salad dressing. Jeeesh, I have a boring life, replying to my own posts. Well, I'll be back in Roatan diving in a few months with my son, and life will pick up.

I just got back yesterday, and no, we had no choice. Some of us refused to leave and were told that wasn't an option. So it turns out they flew us into the hurricane instead of away from it. We flew to San Pedo Sula and took a bus to La Ceiba the next day and then a plane back to Roatan the third day. It was kind of nice in the end as we had an entire resort (Fantasy Island) for just 5 of us, and they ran the dive boat & shop normally for us. Still, we would have preferred to not have had to spend money staying on the mainland when we had already paid for the resort but were told it was a $1500 fine per day from the Honduran government if we were caught staying after it was declared mandatory to evacuate.

Richard

Monday morning quarterbacks, gather near the camp-fire....

Question #1

Given that the storm track estimates three days out looked like the Bay Islands were lined up for a hit.

Given that the Honduran government understands with recent memory (Nov 98) exactly what happens when a Cat 5 storm hits the Bay Islands.

Given that the time to organize and evacuate a bunch of vacation mode "city people" from far flung resorts (ground transfers) with their volumes of carry-on "must haves" is great.

What would you have done?

Write your answer here: _________________________________________________

Bonus Questions:

Scenario #1: You are in charge of a liveaboard, lets call it the Wave Dancer. Storm is coming? What to do?

Scenario #2: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""" cruise sail vessel"""""""""""""""""""""" Fantome. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""?

Feel free to put on your official Monday morning Quarterbacking Jersies.

I don't blame the government for evacuating us and imposing a stiff fine for staying. It was the safe thing to do. A category 5 is nothing to mess around with. It just turned out the storm turned in and Roatan was spared. We didn't want to evacuate and had a bunker lined up with a local and would have been fine, but who knows how much damage would have been done if the storm had hit the Bay Islands dead on. If I'd been in charge of a liveaboard, I would have gotten the hell out of Dodge. It's just nice the people on the island were safe and the storm died down quickly in Honduras. Unfortunately, lives were lost in Nicaragua, but things could have been worse.

Richard

You either do too much or not enough. It seemed as though the storm was coming our way. In hindsight, it was no big deal, just a bit of rain. Our dive shop was boarded up and those of us who live here went through plenty of buckling down for the storm (i.e. buying water, food, supplies, gasoline). We thought it was coming. Luckily it didn't and we are here to discuss the value of the decision to evac. Not all places have generators. Many resorts in West-End don't and they happen to be on the beach. It could have been real ugly. Given the circumstances, past experience, and the information I agree with the actions taken. There is another side to this, but I do prefer to err on the side of caution, especially when dealing with people's lives.

On a different note, tourist are making their way back to the island. Business is picking up again, and most importantly we have resumed diving.

What did happen in 98 in the bay islands.... I can't seem to remeber any of the AI resorts ever having damage past loosing anything other then some docks, here and there...

Can't remeber a CAT 5 storm ever actually hitting the Bay Islands... and that includes Mitch.............

Not trying to be tacky but 96 - 97 was when I started spending at least 4 weeks a year on the island.

I am getting old so maybe I need to up the dose on my alheizmer's meds....

What did happen in 98 in the bay islands.... I can't seem to remeber any of the AI resorts ever having damage past loosing anything other then some docks, here and there....Can't remeber a CAT 5 storm ever actually hitting the Bay Islands... and that includes Mitch......Not trying to be tacky but 96 - 97 was when I started spending at least 4 weeks a year on the island...I am getting old so maybe I need to up the dose on my alheizmer's meds....

No, no need for meds, it's just that Mitch was so localized on the Island of Guanaja, if your were sitting on Roatan, it had little effect. We stopped by IoLR and saw that it appeared curiously as low spots were awash and flooded, but no real damage. AKR's docks got rearranged and quickly rebuilt. But one of the brightest new shining stars of Roatan, "Ben's Dive Shop" in Punta Gorda was obliterated. That was a really tragic loss, it was destined to be a step forward for the garifuna community. Punta Gorda got washed over pretty good, but many employees of Mr. Bill got substantial assistance in rebuilding homes and businesses. Most of the Northern coast got really soaked, but even on the South side, the storm surge was 5-7 feet over high tide. Even CCV, on that well protected South side, lost it's Gazebo and seaward jetty.

A week before Mitch, the new development near Parrot Tree had erected a Gazebo and jetty. If you know where to look at the coastline of this upscale development, you can see the posts and pillars that never served interested land buyers.

Mitch hit Guanaja, One of the Bay Islands 30 miles to the East of Roatan with 180 mph winds that denuded the trees of leaves- it stripped the island bare of vegetation.

In Nov 1998 I helped deliver Tom (the below author) and supplies to his former home a few days after Mich cleared out, hit the mainland coast and weakened.

Date: 10/30/1998

By now you have undoubtedly heard about the devastating Category 5 Hurricane Mitch
(1998) and the island of Guanaja off the coast of Honduras. The island has been devastated. The residents, some 8,000 people, are without food, water, and shelter. It is an unprecedented catastrophe.

We have not been able to assess the full extent of damage to the resort, since today is the first day people are able to get out of their shelters and move around. We are in communication only by satellite phone with those managing our resort. The resort is in fair shape and we thank God that our managers, guests and the staff are safe. Others on the island were not so fortunate. All of the villages were literally blown away. Evacuation was impossible because the hurricane literally dropped on top of them without warning. No sea or air rescue has been possible because the hurricane with 180 MPH winds literally lashed at us for days....

Again, Mitch 1998? it really didn't affect Roatan at all. The largest number of residences affected were in a little settlement just East of Oak Ridge in a place called Pandy Town. It's an area that looks like typical squatters homes built on poles over the water. Way off the radar screen to most- you can't even see the place unless you're on a boat. Guanaja's Bayman Bay and Posada del Sol were profoundly affected. PdS came back to life quite quickly, BBC seems to be struggling with a rebirth... ten years later.

Storms will do what they do, no mater what we try and build. "Man proposes, God disposes" (People can make plans; God determines how things will turn out.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom