Roatan in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's a small group of us planning a trip May 19 - 26 in Roatan at Fantasy Island Resort. Has anyone been, and if so do you have any advice to offer? We need more people to go, too so let me know if you are interested in meeting up down there! The price is awesome!

I'm going to be at CoCo View May 26-June 2...looks like we may pass each other at the airport. :D

This will be my first trip so don't know much about it. You may want to ask Dee, her and Beast have been going there for 10 years.

We're looking at that same deal at Fantasy Island in May, since La Paz is out (too cold in the water). You really can't beat the price. It's the air from here to there that's a pain, but we're trying to work it out.

We found round trip airfare from DFW to Roatan for $494 and that includes all taxes/transfers. I know that sounds high, but considering the all-inclusive price on the other end, it is really worth it!

That's pretty good. Coming from here, we have to either go through LAX with numerous stops and many hours of travel, or fly to Houston and down, which is a lot shorter. The problem is, flying out of Houston means we have to travel on the weekend, meaning I have to take a lot more time off (I work 12 hour shifts on Saturdays and Sundays). It looks like it's coming together, though.

What would you like to know? I can't promise that I am the Fantasy Island guru; but I was just there June 2006. Since Jun 2006, they have added a pool. They were beginning construction on it while I was there in June. It didn't look like it was going to be too impressive to me; although it looked like it was going to be outfitted for a swim-up bar.

Diving: Is pretty good; although I still think I rank Cozumel better (but not by much). You won't do any drift diving at F.I. There's just no current. Water temp in June was 82F.

The local tour operator offers an inland forest canopy "zip line" tour. I didn't take the tour but some in my group did. They came back with rave reviews.

The "beach" at F.I. Take some form of Bug-Off spray. They have some sort of beach/sand flea that will attack your ankles and legs. It's the no-see-um variety of sand flea. You won't know you're attacked until after the fact.

The hotel accomodations: The rooms are acceptable but nothing to write home about. The food is acceptably good though not exceptional. However, for an all-inclusive spot, the food ain't bad. The staff is exceptionally nice. They will bend over backwards to help you in anyway they can.

Personally, I found my most enjoyable experiences to be diving and partaking in "happy hour" at the hotel bar with the other guests.

Continued

Customs: Be prepared for long waits. The island customs officials are in no way equipped to handle a plane load of people at one time. It takes time. I believe I stood in the customs line for something like two hours.

Luggage: Be prepared to watch your luggage whisked away by a complete stranger at the most inopportune time with the explanation that you have no choice in the matter. It's island custom. And it's also customary that you tip the whisker individual after the fact.

Departing Roatan: At the airport, what can I say, you have your typical small airport delays. Deal with it. In the gate lounge: Do you guys like to enjoy a nice drink in the lounge while you are waiting on your flight? Fair enough. I do too. You have one choice: Jet's Bar. Watch out for Jet! You can't miss him. He runs the bar in 14 hour shifts (or thereabouts). He's this short little guy. You can't miss him.

Watch out for Jet! Watch your money even closer. He will quote you a drink price. Run off and mix drinks for six other people and then come back to you and pretend that he forgot what your drink is. When you remind him, he will happily mix it, serve it to you, make some cute comment about your hair or your shoes and then charge you about double for your drink.

Trust me. I watched him do this to several bar patrons; including me. He got me too.

JR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom