Roatan - Diving In July - Any Pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was in Roatan in February and stayed at AKR. Also visited the other resorts on the island while I was there and must say that I preferred AKR over all the others. They also have the newest, fastest boats.

Pointers - carry all luggage you can!!! Mine got lost for 6 days. Luckily I was there for two weeks!

I also agree with the big can of Deet. Off Deep Woods at a minimum!!

Happy diving!

Michelle

:crafty:
cmt489:
Was in Roatan in February and stayed at AKR. Also visited the other resorts on the island while I was there and must say that I preferred AKR over all the others. They also have the newest, fastest boats.

Pointers - carry all luggage you can!!! Mine got lost for 6 days. Luckily I was there for two weeks!

I also agree with the big can of Deet. Off Deep Woods at a minimum!!

Happy diving!

Michelle

Thanks for the tip re: carrying luggage. Now, if I could just carry my dive bag on the plane . . . .

cmt489:

All of them? Like IoLR, BIBR, CCV, FIBR?

You really got over to see CCV?

What was different, why do you like AKR the best?

Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

Doc.

RoatanMan:
It may be pretty 'still' over that way in July, so hoping that you have a nice fan or a/c would be a plus.

The stillness does encourage the little biting critters, so be cautious (do a search on this site) of insects like the famous sand fly. (no-see-um, sand flea, etc.)

We were in Roatan at that time last year (last two weeks of July). I'll second the need for insect repellant and a place with AC. it's an absolute necessity. Adequate sunscreen goes without saying! We used a waterproof/sweatproof sports formula with an SPF of 45.

Lots of young backpacker types in when we were there. On the other hand, at Sueno del Mar, the kid and the divemaster were the only two going out on the mid morning dive. The after noon dive had a few more people going out with them, doing practicals for classes they were taking (still only about 5 divers total on the boat)

RoatanMan:
All of them? Like IoLR, BIBR, CCV, FIBR?

You really got over to see CCV?

What was different, why do you like AKR the best?

Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

Doc.

Yup got over to see CCV and FIBR. Not sure of the acronyms IoLR and BIBR - if you let me know, I can tell you :wink:

I guess I just liked the setting of AKR and the maintenance. When I went over to FIBR (which I am assuming is Fanatasy Island) I was shocked by how run down it was. I know that they were renovating at the time but I had gone on this trip with my parents and we almost stayed there since my mother is a non-diver and is a tennis player. Well good thing we didn't stay there for that reason since the tennis court is such a mess that it is absolutely unusable!

CCV appeared nice but it just didn't grab me. I also liked the boats at AKR and the fact that they have a lot of the attractions that others come in to use. There were non-diving oriented things to do (such as riding and the canopy ride) which the whole family enjoyed (don't get me wrong I LOVE diving but when you go for 2 weeks sometimes you want to do other things!) My dad is a diabetic so the medical centre and the recompression chamber being on site were also a bonus.

The cabins at AKR were great (I was in a new AC cabin so I don't know what the older ones are like) and were situated wonderfully. The food was also very good.

Anyhow, that is my report and I know I will definitely recommend AKR to anyone.

Just one diver's opinion.....

Michelle

cmt489:
Yup got over to see CCV and FIBR. Not sure of the acronyms IoLR and BIBR - if you let me know, I can tell you :wink:

I guess I just liked the setting of AKR and the maintenance. When I went over to FIBR (which I am assuming is Fanatasy Island) I was shocked by how run down it was. I know that they were renovating at the time but I had gone on this trip with my parents and we almost stayed there since my mother is a non-diver and is a tennis player. Well good thing we didn't stay there for that reason since the tennis court is such a mess that it is absolutely unusable!

CCV appeared nice but it just didn't grab me. I also liked the boats at AKR and the fact that they have a lot of the attractions that others come in to use. There were non-diving oriented things to do (such as riding and the canopy ride) which the whole family enjoyed (don't get me wrong I LOVE diving but when you go for 2 weeks sometimes you want to do other things!) My dad is a diabetic so the medical centre and the recompression chamber being on site were also a bonus.

The cabins at AKR were great (I was in a new AC cabin so I don't know what the older ones are like) and were situated wonderfully. The food was also very good.

Anyhow, that is my report and I know I will definitely recommend AKR to anyone.

Just one diver's opinion.....

Michelle

IoLR= Inn of the Last Resort and
BIBR = Bay Islands Beach Resort

So in a diver's opinion, how did the diving (the operation, boats, as well as the diving itself) compare when you dove at CCV & FIBR versus the North side and a place like AKR? How did you find AKR's boats to be superior to CCV's?

FIBR has vastly improved in the last two years with new ownership. The place has some real die hard fans, no matter what the shortcomings, and the well seasoned dive staff has a lot to do with that. For what the DM's do for the resort's reputation and memory in the traveller- they are seriously underpaid. They have a great beach (one of the few on the island) and a lot of men bring their topless 'neices' for vaction.

As to the claim of medical facilities and availablity on Roatan- please don't be deluded... you are still at 2 hr. plane ride away from any real medical assistance. A medical center, recomp chamber, or whatever- if you stub your toe, head for Houston.

A note to any that are travelling with older or those in diminished capacity- there are many, many steps - up and down- at AKR... just to eat. The attraction that they offer, the Dolphin show, can be accessed by any Roatan visitor, including the 80-175 cruise ship divers that make it to AKR every week.

There are several here at SB that have actually spent entire weeks at various of the Roatan resort properties. My experience is less broad: I have been day-diving extensively with each of the major AI properties, and many of the day trip services. I have been to look in every room type offered at the major AI's, and many of the smaller guest houses. I've eaten at the major AI's, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I have only slept overnight at CoCoView, so I don't know what the sunrise is like at other resorts when you have no clear East & West view. I'm spoiled by the 24/7 actual shore dive access.

No one resort is for everyone, and you have an even bigger propblem when you bring non-divers to Roatan! Sounds like Michelle may have picked the optimum place (AKR) for such a varied group. AKR has easy access to the "West End", a great place for day trips for the non-diver... lots to keep mom and dad occupied for your dive week! It is also quite near the Botanical Gardens, the Jungle Canopy tour and the Iguana/Parrot dealywigs. These non-dive activities can be accesed from any Roatan dive resort, but once again- for the non-diver tag-alongs... AKR puts them right in the center of Roatan's "entertainment district"... such as it is :)

deleted

RoatanMan:
So in a diver's opinion, how did the diving (the operation, boats, as well as the diving itself) compare when you dove at CCV & FIBR versus the North side and a place like AKR? How did you find AKR's boats to be superior to CCV's?

The diving operation was well run and enjoyable. The DMs were personable and enjoyable. They also tried to cater to their groups. For instance, when people had their cameras they took care to help find obscure photo subjects. Further, their photo centre was AMAZING. They instructed my father trhoughout the entire two weeks on taking better underwater photos for free. His photo taking improved vastly by the end.

Their boats were new pro-series, fast, with good in and out access. This allowed us to dive on both sides of the island with ease.

Unlimited shore diving was also available, however, I did not shore dive after doing three boat dives a day (although it was recommended that we do a channel dive and I do regret not doing so).

I must admit, I did not dive at the other resorts but, since I did not have any complaints about the diving at AKR, I was not looking to dive elsewhere.

The owners were always on site and checking with the guests about their stay. All of the staff at the resort were amazing, took pains to remember names, likes and dislikes. In all, it was a wonderful experience.

Again, like I said before, this is just one opinion and, as you have pointed out, not everyone has the same wants out of a resort.

Would I return? Definitely!

Michelle

My wife and I will at FI July 24-31. This will be are first trip to Roatan from Oklahoma.

CBrown:
My wife and I will at FI July 24-31. This will be are first trip to Roatan from Oklahoma.

We will be flying the same days from Houston. Our names are Bill and Bill and we are somewhat easy to spot -- one or the other will be in an In-N-Out Burger shirt at some point or another (We have too many of them -- Good burgers.)

Hope to see you there.... :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom