Roatan - Diving In July - Any Pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Bill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Roatan for the first time (July 24-31) and wanted to pick someones brain.

Please reply back with your advise, recommendations, warnings, or just join us.... :14:

Thanks -- Bll

Scuba-Bill:
Going to Roatan for the first time (July 24-31) and wanted to pick someones brain.

Please reply back with your advise, recommendations, warnings, or just join us.... :14:

Thanks -- Bll
Bring alot of DEET and do not forget to use it. And go to GIO'S in French Harbor for lobster and crab combo AWESOME!! And try Port Royal beer. Oh ya the diving is not bad either if you get the chance.

Where ya stayin? A location, north or south side, on the island will help!

Scuba-Bill:

Thanks -- Bll

A lot of recommendations as to any specific month of your visit depends on which resort you're going to.

July means one thing on the North, quite something else on the South- mostly in terms of above and u/w critters, as well as micro climate.

As is mentioned here, Geo's is a great spot to pig out, but for something a little less "US", look at the great new restaurant just 5 minutes East of CoCoView and Fantasy Island called "The View".

On the West end there are two restaurants of note: The Argentine Grille and the Garden of Eatin (Cuban/Asian).

Where is it you're headed?

My dive buddy had me book at Posada Arco Iris in the West End. We will see what we got ourselves in to...

Scuba-Bill:
My dive buddy had me book at Posada Arco Iris in the West End. We will see what we got ourselves in to...

It may be pretty 'still' over that way in July, so hoping that you have a nice fan or a/c would be a plus.

The stillness does encourage the little biting critters, so be cautious (do a search on this site) of insects like the famous sand fly. (no-see-um, sand flea, etc.)

Although Rooatan lies outside of the usual huricane path, you are there in the midst of the season. When weather arrives, it comes from the North and also shuts down the West end quite often.

If it does, be light footed and be ready to find a South side dive op, the best I have seen is Subway Water Sports located at the French Harbour Yacht Club- an excellent dive op.

The West End should be a-poppin what with vacationing young folk coming down and enjoying the best bargain in the Caribbean.

I have had great experiences while night diving in July August- the water column is filled with critters and the ocean is revving up to the August coral spawning. Things don't just happen at one time- there is a build up process.

In this time frame the best diving is on the full moon and the week thereafter.... in terms of sea life action.

Always take a magnifying glass to Roatan- and these months in particular. Go slowly, find a real hunter for a DM, see it all!

Keep that insecticide on at all times and don't forget to reapply when you exit the water.

Jeanne

Jeanne:
Keep that insecticide on at all times and don't forget to reapply when you exit the water.

Jeanne

Purchased a large can with a high Deet content -- Thanks.

Scuba-Bill:

Thanks -- Bll

Where are you staying? I was on Roatan about 15 years ago at AKR but we are staying at CCV this time.
I am going to have a hard time concentrating for the next week and a half.

CalDyver:
Where are you staying? I was on Roatan about 15 years ago at AKR but we are staying at CCV this time.
I am going to have a hard time concentrating for the next week and a half.

We are staying at the Posada Arco Iris, in the West End. Looks ok. Friends say their restaurant is excellent, the Argentinian Grill.

http://www.roatanposada.com
http://www.roatanposada.com/restaurant.htm

I know what you mean about the concentration. I find myself on the SB a little too often.

Nine days and counting! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom