Roatan - Coco View or Anthony's Key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAJim

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I seem to be converging on Roatan instead of Belize for late May. Plan on getting Nitrox and Advanced Certs this fall. Will bring our own gear.

My question for the board: For our first trip to Roatan, and at 40 dive experience level, are we more likely to enjoy Coco View or Anthony's Key? Or is there another even better? Looks like Reef House is a smaller operation possibly without nitrox.

My wife has seen some posts suggesting the food may be an advantage for Anthony's, but Coco's more extensive web site looks convincing that the diving will be very good and strongly supported.

Thanks

Jim,

There are SEVERAL posts that address this question.

But IMO... CoCo View is a GREAT dive destination. You can increase your diving experience by 50% after a week there, meaning, you can do 20-25 dives EASILY in a week at CCV.

We booked CoCo this morning. Thanks.

You mentioned late May...we'll be there for two weeks starting May 13. Maybe we'll see ya!

We are there for one week beginning May 27. Maybe we'll say hi/bye at check out. We were at Anacapa yesterday for three tanks on the Spectre. Water temp was 61 on the front side and 57 on the back side. My wife called the last dive after half an hour because she got cold. We were in 7 mm with hoods. Looking forward to wearing 3 mm in warm water.

A group of us went to Cocoview and it was great. I would go there again in a heart beat. The place, staff,boats, food was just down to earth. We have traveled all over and this place truely made you think of them as family. They heard it was my husband birthday and they made him a cake just for him, The food was family style and was two main kind of dishes each night with tons of extras. One night dinner was served outside with some school children that danced. One thing they required and I thought it was great was a check out dive. This was just outside on their dock but they were they in the water with you to make sure the wieghts were ok, then a short swim to show you the underground sites. But also which was way different then anything else was the class room orientation. This was done to explain the rules, what we would see, with pictures, about Rhoaton, how they do their diving on the boats etc. It took about 1/2 hour and we learned so much!!! The place is not fancy like a 5 star place, it was more like a family run operation. For the value of the dollar it can't be beat.

LAJim:
We are there for one week beginning May 27. Maybe we'll say hi/bye at check out. We were at Anacapa yesterday for three tanks on the Spectre. Water temp was 61 on the front side and 57 on the back side. My wife called the last dive after half an hour because she got cold. We were in 7 mm with hoods. Looking forward to wearing 3 mm in warm water.
We had a group of 4 from CA at CCV this past July. With water temps averaging 86 degrees, and us used to the 50's, we didn't even need 3 mils. I brought mine, but never got it wet. I used my lycra skin (there were jellies in the water that I didn't want to worry about), but my buddy didn't even use that - just a bikini for her. You'll enjoy it!
My feeling when I left was that, if I was to return to Roatan (which we hopefully will next year), I would definitely stay at CCV again. Tehre was nothing there that would make me look to another resort (nothing was lacking, or made me feel like it could have been done better elsewhere) and I didn't see anything at the other resorts while we were there that made me think I"d rather stay there.
Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom