Roatan: AI's vs. ala carte Day Dive Ops? The numbers:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
CoCoView (as an example of an all-inclusive) versus selecting an ala carte trip (from a West End Day Dive Op)… running the numbers::1book:

Many people ask whether it is best to go all inclusive (AI) where “it’s all included”, or to go to the variety of West End establishments that cater to the day diver. This example is slightly skewed as CCV is quite reasonable by Caribbean standards (as are also the West End Day Dive Ops), and the fact that you do really have unlimited diving at CCV, with an easy 5 a day possible, some pushing their stamina to 6 dives per day. At a day-dive operation, this would be all but impossible.

In looking at my recent two week trip, here are the figures:

The rack rate price for that two weeks at CCV was $850 x 2 = $1700 (Group rates for dive shop/groups are less)

The Crux of the Biscuit:

I did 61 dives, so figuring the West End negotiated bulk price of $20 per dive in multiple quantities, that would cost $1220, leaving $480 to buy 14 nights lodging, dinners, 13 breakfasts and lunches. $480 would leave an average of $34/per day to do that.

In my two weeks, I had 290 hours from the first moment I could dive until the last moment I should have been diving.

I spent about 6.25 hrs per day in the active overall pursuit of diving with a TBT of 59.62 hrs. This is slightly better than 20% of the available time that was allotted for diving and related preparation. Surface intervals between boat dives are rather minimal, but never even close to busting the charts. I was always in the ‘green end of yellow’, if not just plain ‘green’ on the standard pixillation scale of dive computers.

Then night diving figuring 1940 hrs to 2115 hrs start to finish, so I added in another 18.9 hrs as part of the above TBT :snorkel:figure.

Deduct out another 30.75 hrs eating and related operations, well, throw in another .75 hrs (reading time) making it a total of 31.50 hrs spent in the library.

Figuring sleep at 2200 hrs till 0630, at 8.5 hrs per day, giving me 100 hrs of ‘wet dreams’ with nocturnal visions of reef critters.

I can account for 60 hours of non dive activity, largely found in the after lunch to before the afternoon 1400 boat dive, then after the boat dive return until dinner, then maybe a few minutes after breakfast before the average morning dive departure of 0830. A computed total there of 60 hrs, some spent in certifiable ‘power naps’ as described under ISO/ANSI standards.

This, to some, may leave 39.63 hrs unaccounted for. Not so, Grasshopper…

Multiply the number of years being a certified diver by the reciprocal of the number on your C Card, divide by the average bottom time of all dives (squared by the residual partial pressure of intestinal gas), impute that by the rate of ascent.

This figure gives you the amount of time that is spent telling stories, truths, lies and outright lapses in memory at the bar. Algebraicaly:

[(Yrs Cert) x (1/#)]/{A.B.T. x f@rts}^ft/min2 = TFAT (decimal hours)

This for me comes out to 39.75 hrs, so obviously I came out way ahead by diving at an AI resort.

Most divers will. :giveusahu:

Go to dive at a well chosen AI. Do other stuff :369: somewhere else.

Very cool math, Doc! If teachers had given me formulas like this in Jr. High I could have learned to do that New math stuff!

Hi

I agree with you but why not look at Utila dives there they only work out at $12.50 per dive Hotels are cheaper and they have a lot more chances of seeing Whale Sharks than Roatan i have just spoken to an instructer friend there and i have been told they have been with Whale Sharks every day for nearly 2 weeks.
I know i have dived Roatan and Utila, and that i prefer Utila that of course is a personal Choice.

ScubaFriend:
Hi

I agree with you but why not look at Utila dives there they only work out at $12.50 per dive Hotels are cheaper and they have a lot more chances of seeing Whale Sharks than Roatan i have just spoken to an instructer friend there and i have been told they have been with Whale Sharks every day for nearly 2 weeks.
I know i have dived Roatan and Utila, and that i prefer Utila that of course is a personal Choice.

Maybe true, and Utila has the whale sharks for sure.

BUT... the topic here is AI versus Ala Carte.

Tell us more about each and every option... on Utila. How do the numbers compare for an AI such as Utila Lodge, versus buying everything piece by piece from a hotel/hostel, restaurant (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner- and how that cuts into your dive time), and day dive operation.

When you're doing ala carte in Utila how many dives a day can you realisticaly expect to do in one day?

I'll bet the Ala Carte is cheaper, because indeed Utila caters to the backpacker crowd 96%....

....but lay it out for us! For the right traveller, Utila's day operations could be just the ticket.

Are you saying that you can walk in to a day dive op and get a boat dive for $12.50? How many do you have to buy to get that rate... and which dive op?

Count me in!

Hi Roatan Man

Ok i will try to lay it out, i have done both options on Utila in the last 6 months one the dive shop operation as i was on by own and the resort because i was with friends.

There are 3 Dive resorts on the island of Utila, Laguna Beach, Deep Blue Resort, Utila Lodge. I have stayed at all 3 resort but this last time i stayed at Deep Blue we went in a group of 10 basic cost was $850 they are doing a special deal at the moment until november. with that deal of 10 they gave the organiser 1 free place and 20% commission which she decided not to take but spread between us so she had to pay for 9 places.

$850 x 9 = $7650

so the cost was $7650 then she recieved 20% $1530.00 comission so take that off

$7650 - $1530 = $6120.00

Therefore total price each $6120.00 divided by 10 equals $612.00 each the only other things to pay for were the Honduran tax and drinks.

They do 3 dives a day 2 in the morning 1 in the afternoon and will arrange a minimum of 2 night dives a week. if you speak to them they will arrange more boat diving if you wish, they also offer unlimited shore diving from the resort which is set on the beach and you have access to 3 different dive sites. in fact many days i did 5 dives.

I arrived on a Saturday and left on a Saturday

Sat 1 dive
Sun 5 dives
Mon 5 dives
Tues 4 dives
Wed 5 dives
Thurs 4 dives
Fri 3 dives
SAT HOME therefore 27 dives in one week

Because of this and that i had a great time there i went back on my own and decided to dive with their shop in town this is a totally different business that they own in town, the resort is set further away from town.

The way they organise things is 4 dives a day and night dives when ever you want, there are hotels on Utila from $3.00 per night but i would not stay there i dont like sharing my rooms with cockroaches ha ha so i paid $20.00 per night in the hotel Rose, if you do a package of 10 or more dives you get them at $12.50 this includes all equipment if you want the only other thing you have to pay for with the diving is $3.00 per day of diving tax.

My Dive Schedule in the shop was

i arrived on a tues and left on a tues.
Tue NO DIVING
Wed 5 dives
Thurs 5 dives
Fri 4 dives
Sat 5 dives
Sun 4 dives
Mon 3 dives
Tue had to leave

Total 26 dives there for cost was 26 x $12.50 equals $325.00 and 6 days of diving therefore another $3.00 per day for their tax $18.00 so total diving cost was $343.00

7 days accomodation 7 x $20 is $140.00

Cost of food, most evenings were spent at a place called the island cafe which is just behind deep blue divers cost of food and a beer most evenings was 100 limperas which is approx $5.50 so 7 days of that $38.50

And i would say for a quick stolen breakfast and lunches another 100 limperas so another $38.50

Ahh of course there was the sodas perhaps 1 a day water they supply on the boat but i still bought some 2 bottles a day and beers mmmm 2 a day so a cost of about another $5.00 per day therefore $35.00 per week

So total cost for a week a la carte was approx $556.50

Both very good deals but when you look at it $612.00 at the resort, that is without drinks and $556.00 a la carte

The food at the resort is stunning, they set up my equipment for me, organize everything, i am going back and i have already booked for later this year.

I know that does not exactly answer your question as the first one was a group price but that was just a comparison of what i did in Utila

So i think Roatan man you will find the equation is

(abt)x(dt) -(RT) =FUN UNDERWATER whichever way you do it and whether you do it on Roatan or in Utila, resort or a la carte

I have dived both Islands i love them both and Roatan man keep up the good work amazing reports and i am sure you are waving your magic wand now and trying to convince some more people to learn to dive. Reports like yours can only do good for the diving community.

Keep Up the great work

ScubaFriend:
(abt)x(dt) -(RT) =FUN UNDERWATER

whichever way you do it and whether you do it on Roatan or in Utila, resort or a la carte

Math that even I understand!

Well done.... you are a great source of Utila info... keep the info coming!

Thanks again!

ScubaFriend:
P.s. to Roatan Man i forgot to mention i love Bonaire as well but that is a different kettle of fish price wise

I place Bonaire as one of the top 3 Caribbean destinations- and one that is the easiest to do ala-carte. With the easy driving and availability of good rental vehicles, it's a simple matter to cat about while you pick and choose.

The variety of local restaurants there would assure my never buying a full meal package from any operation. We even found good places to go in the morning for a quick breakfast.

A short drive out of town and great local dining was served up with cold beers. I still recall with great fondness being able to 'pick your own goat' at one restaurant.

Bonaire has lots of possibilities other than AI's.

I agree i found some great dive shops and the wonderfull shore diving ...the total freedom i have done Bonaire 5 times always all inclusive and wow yes great but doing it all inclusive was expensive ahhhh the days when i had money ...what happened to it ?...... i spent it on diving ....at least i enjoyed it

ScubaFriend:
Hi

Coco View does not run the same Utila Cattle Boat ops. Ya saw three whale sharks cool. But I was dreaming of Coco View's big roomy boats as I tryed to find a place to stand on the Utila boat. With the rest of the cattle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom