Roatan 3-26 to 4-2. I'm very excited!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
I just recently finished my OW class and was planning a trip on the Bahamas liveaboard boat Cat Ppalu at the end of March for my check out dives but the trip ended up being cancelled due to not enough people signing up. It looks like the boat won't even be going out that week. Anyway, I am switching to plan B - Fantasy Island Resort. I got a great deal on a 1 week package all inclusive. I'll be doing my check out dives there. I have a feeling the diving is going to be better. Also, I was a little uncomfortable with the liveaboard reality that if you forget something you just have to make do without it. Any SB members heading that way during those dates? I'm travelling solo and would enjoy meeting and diving with other SBers

A quick FYI :eyebrow: Before you go to Roatan take a nitrox course. I just booked a week at fantasy island the end of May to check out their operation for future dive trips. I've never been to this resort (Fantasy island) but the all inclusive dive package I booked INCLUDES unlimited free nitrox if your certified to use it. With unlimited shore diving + 3 boat dives a day the nitrox comes in very handy if you want to dive a LOT. I did my OW checkout dives on nitrox many moons ago :D Let us know how you like the resort & the food :)

We go to Fantasy Island on average about twice a year and we really enjoy the facility and the dive operation. Hope you find it as enjoyable as we do...sorry we will not be there the same time you are going to be there....we were there for a week December 10th and will be back for two weeks on April 19th........relax and have a ball!

You'll get along just fine, they see any number of new divers, no worries.

A curious thing about liveaboards- they usually have whatever it is that you need to borrow. After all, the crew members aren't likely doing a lot of diving every day, and they usually have leftover or abandoned gear on hand.

The diving on the South shore of Roatan is best done shallow and slowly. You will see very shallow vertical walls that begin in 5-30 fsw and bottom out in the first layer of sand at 90 ft. Most of the interesting stuff that is hard to find in the Caribbean is all over the walls in those 0~55 fsw depths. See http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3139 for a sample of these unique South Side Treasures.

These walls are bathed in direct Sunlight all day long. Live Corals and critters like light.

I do 5 dives a day from the resort just across the channel, and I do it on plain air with no deco issues. Nitrox is simply not needed while doing 3x a day on the South shore of the island.

You'll get along just fine, they see any number of new divers, no worries.

A curious thing about liveaboards- they usually have whatever it is that you need to borrow. After all, the crew members aren't likely doing a lot of diving every day, and they usually have leftover or abandoned gear on hand.

The diving on the South shore of Roatan is best done shallow and slowly. You will see very shallow vertical walls that begin in 5-30 fsw and bottom out in the first layer of sand at 90 ft. Most of the interesting stuff that is hard to find in the Caribbean is all over the walls in those 0~55 fsw depths. See http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3139 for a sample of these unique South Side Treasures.

These walls are bathed in direct Sunlight all day long. Live Corals and critters like light.

I do 5 dives a day from the resort just across the channel, and I do it on plain air with no deco issues. Nitrox is simply not needed while doing 3x a day on the South shore of the island.

Thanks, RoatanMan. I looked into the nitrox class at my LDS and it's $189. Being that this is the first diving I have ever done, I'm not looking to go deep and long so I'm sure I'll be OK with air. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this. :banana:

You'll love it. We've been to Fantasy Island twice and it is very convenient for diving. Just wander down to the shop and onto the boat. Hassle free. Lots of slow easy diving and lots to see. Nothing to do at FI in the evenings though so bring lots to read!

My wife and I finished our open water cert there about three years ago. Alejandra was our instructor and she was very professional and pleasant while making sure we had all of the necessary skills. Did the main skills in the lagoon and she then accompanied us on our first two boat dives. She turned us loose after that but we were also there with another couple who were experienced divers and their presence was a huge reassurance while we got comfortable acclimating to our new underwater world.

A lot of the diving there, particularly the first boat dive of the day, is fairly deep. Don't hesitate to get your instructor or another DM to accompany you on additional dives if need be while you work out the kinks. It may cost a little more but could well be worth it by helping to accelerate your progress and just for added peace of mind. Our experienced friends were invaluable to us for those first few days.

Have a great trip and welcome to diving.

You'll love it. We've been to Fantasy Island twice and it is very convenient for diving. Just wander down to the shop and onto the boat. Hassle free. Lots of slow easy diving and lots to see. Nothing to do at FI in the evenings though so bring lots to read!

Sounds perfect

My wife and I finished our open water cert there about three years ago. Alejandra was our instructor and she was very professional and pleasant while making sure we had all of the necessary skills. Did the main skills in the lagoon and she then accompanied us on our first two boat dives. She turned us loose after that but we were also there with another couple who were experienced divers and their presence was a huge reassurance while we got comfortable acclimating to our new underwater world.

A lot of the diving there, particularly the first boat dive of the day, is fairly deep. Don't hesitate to get your instructor or another DM to accompany you on additional dives if need be while you work out the kinks. It may cost a little more but could well be worth it by helping to accelerate your progress and just for added peace of mind. Our experienced friends were invaluable to us for those first few days.

Have a great trip and welcome to diving.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea to dive with a DM for the first few dives.

Been to Coco View three times, which is next door to F.I. You should have a great time. Don't let anyone (kids) handle your luggage or you will be expected to pay for it.

What's a couple of bucks for some poor kids trying to earn a little money?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom