Road Trip to Monterey - Whirlwind Beach Diving - Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitewatermike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A few of us salty dogs from So Cal are planning a road trip, in December, to Monterey for a day of beach diving. We plan to make 4 dives (3 day, 1 night) and would like some local input on the best spots. I've made two dives there, one each at Breakwater and Lover's Point. I don't mind diving those spots again.

So, if you're only ever to make 4 beach dives, at Monterey, IN YOUR LIFE, which 4 would you do???

Pt. Lobos!!!!!!

(Get a reservation for weekends.)

Thanks Fish. I've been wanting to dive there. Going to give it serious consideration. Looking at the dive calendar there, the weekends we're considering are all booked, unless we go on a Friday.

So, if you're only ever to make 4 beach dives, at Monterey, IN YOUR LIFE, which 4 would you do???

In no particular order:
1. Mono Lobo
2. Beto's Reef
3. N. Monastery
4. Coral Steet Beach (out past 90 fsw)

In no particular order:
1. Mono Lobo
2. Beto's Reef
3. N. Monastery
4. Coral Steet Beach (out past 90 fsw)

Sweet. We must made reservations to dive Point Lobos on Friday and may now only do 3 dives on Saturday.

Point lobos (3 sisters)
North Monastery

As a pedestrian:

1) N. Monastery
2) Carmel River Beach
3) Lovers (beware the time restrictions!!)
4) McAbee (do this early for parking)

With a scooter:

1) Lobos
2) Lobos
3) Lobos
4) Lobos

To comply with diving tradition, you must eat at least once at:
Turtle Bay (431 Tyler) yummy cheap post-diving Mexican comida

Good Breakfast can be found at:
Holly's Lighthouse Cafe (602 Lighthouse, PG) -or-
Tillie Gorts (111 Central Ave, PG)

...and a decent diving hotel - 1960's vintage, but clean, inexpensive, and diver-friendly complete with outside showers and huge rinse tanks - is the Lone Oak Lodge.

Lastly, when you're driving to Lobos, the last traffic light (it's at the bottom of the big hill, with a Chevron station to the left) has a strip mall with a Safeway grocery store. This Safeway has the last available Starbucks on the way to Lobos, just walk inside the right set of doors. It's pretty funny - when we're diving with friends, we'll see them early in the morning at the Safeway first...!

All the best, James

Do bear in mind that Monastery is a beach that requires some special skills and experience. You need a mentor with lots of Monastery experience.

Also, check the sea conditions before you drive up here Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

I understand that Monastery has a challenging beach entry. We'll probably steer clear as we may have some novice divers with us. I am intrigued now, though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom