Road Trip to Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A group of us here in Augusta dives the lake at Clark Hill, Lake Thurmond, year round. A description of the dive site was in this months Dive Training magazine, pg.93. We are always looking for a good day trip, so I was looking for some recommendations on dive sites at Lake Lanier. Also conditions, viz, temp, etc.

We always go diving out of west bank park, which is located right next to the dam on bufford dam rd. I haven't hit the lake in a while, but we are having a "dine and dive" on the 18th of this month if you want to come and join us. We all get together and grill out and BS after we hit the water. Temp should be starting to drop a good bit by now, but we always get the best viz in the winter, sometimes up to 30'. We also hold the traditional Lake Lanier Loonie Bird dive on new years day. That is when we officially classify new comers as a Loonie Bird. We would love for you and your friends to join us sometime, just keep an eye on our forums and see when we might be having a get together. We would also like to come check out your dive hole sometime. What type of specs. do you have on your lake? Just let us know when you might come out and we'll try and get together and show you our mud hole.

Kyle

Yes come join us sometime. And yes, kyle we should make a dive and dine at Clarks Hill. I'd like to try Carters Lake too.

Lake Thurmond offers several solid dives. We have 60, 80 and 100’ walls, a plane and boat. At the base of the 100’ wall is an old river bed which goes down to 128’, depending on the level of the lake. Visibility is excellent in the winter, with temperatures in the low 60’s at the surface and in the low 50’s to high 40’s at 100’. Most of us dive 7mm suits year around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom