Road Trip to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
I am so fed up with cold, ice and snow. I am thinking of driving from the Midwest to Florida to go diving!

Northern Florida is a 14hr drive. Key Largo is another 10-12?

Any suggestions for a road trip? I am thinking of camping to keep expenses down. Is there enough diving in N. Florida (Tampa) to hang out for a week, or such I make my way to Key Largo? I know that there are some must stops such as Ginnie- any others?

Hantzu

hantzu701:
Any suggestions for a road trip? I am thinking of camping to keep expenses down. Is there enough diving in N. Florida (Tampa) to hang out for a week, or such I make my way to Key Largo? I know that there are some must stops such as Ginnie- any others?

Hantzu

Man... hard question. I would say sample North Florida (Ginnie for sure and perhaps Blue Grotto/Devil's Den one day, and a dive out of Crystal River combined with a manatee snorkle the next) and then head down to Key Largo right away. At this time of year, the seas up north can be cold and unpredictable, but this is true of Jacksonville, not so sure abou Tampa (i've never been diving out of Tampa).

Hope this helps.

I'd do the springs...Ocean's pretty blown out, probably settle down in 2 or 3 days but very iffy this time of year...ride is 8 or 9 hours from N Florida. Good campground in KL is Calusa, however snow birds may have taken it over

PS Gainesville is now at 40d, forecast down to 30d...Springs are still 72d

hantzu701:
I am so fed up with cold, ice and snow. I am thinking of driving from the Midwest to Florida to go diving!

Northern Florida is a 14hr drive. Key Largo is another 10-12?

Hantzu

From one (former) Chicagoan to another, come on down. It will warm up here soon, and you won't regret it. PM me when you decide to come down, and I'll see if I can get free. I live 25 minutes from Ginnie and 35 minutes from Devil's Den. :nod:
Kurt

Actually, visibility isn't all that bad in Lauderdale - yesterday's was about 40' or so. Cold front has moved in and the surf is up, but not bad (yet... still watching). If you have the time head for Key Largo and "invest" your time there!

Personally, I'd skip N. Florida and head for Key Largo. I'm in Indy and it takes me 21 hours to do it - hard driving - just stopping for gas. It is 1300 miles from doorstep to doorstep, so you'd have to add another 180 or so. I was last there over 4th of July weekend this year. Going back the first week of Feb. I try to go 2 or 3 times a year. There is a range of places to stay from cheap to expensive to insanely expensive. About the cheapest is $50 a night and not fancy. The Holiday Inn there runs $150 a night. There are some camp grounds there but I don't know if they are much cheaper. There is a range of dive shops too.

PM me if you want some names to check out.

Mike

According to the weather services, Tue is going to really calm down.
Theres small craft advisory in the Keys and along the coast now. The
diving starts in Jupiter and goes all the way to Key West. Stop in Jupiter
to see the lemon sharks and go from there. Theres photos on my
web-site which I maintain to show off Florida. I feel why spend the money
to go far off when we got everything here.

http://divertom.net/

Diver Tom

since when is Tampa NORTH Florida?!?!!?! I live on the north easternmost island in florida...you cross the river 'you be in gods country!'

LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom