RMM Format Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDenning

Contributor
Reaction score
:confused: I tried out my RMM after I purchased it, worked with it in the pool prior to the ocean, then when ready to dive I formatted the card that came with it, in the camera. Took about 40 photos and all of a sudden "FORMAT ERROR" came up when I'd hit the shutter release.

Looks like all those photos are lost. I put in a 2GB card formatted it and took about 120 photos, replaced it just because I was nervous didn't want to loose any, put in another 2GB also formatted it and took over 300 more photos sans problems.

Can anyone tell me why the Format Error? is there any recovery from it? The card isn't at all readable by the camera nor computer.

Can I expect this problem again?

it sound slike bad media (the card). There are people who can recover data off of hard drives after they crash. Maybe they can help but I never heard of such a thing as this is solid state electronics.

I'm not as much concerned about the data on this card. More concerned about it happening again in the future, 300 shots into using a card.

This is the card that came with the camera.

it sound slike bad media (the card). There are people who can recover data off of hard drives after they crash. Maybe they can help but I never heard of such a thing as this is solid state electronics.
Putting a hard drive into an enclosure to make it into an external storage device isn't hard, then retrieving data - but a flash card? No way, I don't think.
I'm not as much concerned about the data on this card. More concerned about it happening again in the future, 300 shots into using a card.

This is the card that came with the camera.
Some things go wrong. I had a couple of pics scramble once on a DC310. Card failures are almost unheard of, but happen. Send it in for replacement and chill. :eyebrow:

:confused: I tried out my RMM after I purchased it, worked with it in the pool prior to the ocean, then when ready to dive I formatted the card that came with it, in the camera. Took about 40 photos and all of a sudden "FORMAT ERROR" came up when I'd hit the shutter release.

Looks like all those photos are lost. I put in a 2GB card formatted it and took about 120 photos, replaced it just because I was nervous didn't want to loose any, put in another 2GB also formatted it and took over 300 more photos sans problems.

Can anyone tell me why the Format Error? is there any recovery from it? The card isn't at all readable by the camera nor computer.

Can I expect this problem again?

If you experience a "Card Error" or any other performance problems with your SD memory card, it will most likely be a problem with the memory card. Check the following:

A) Make sure the SD card is completely seated and "clicks" into position when inserted into camera
B) Make sure the card is not locked
C) Make sure the contacts on the card are clean and the card is not damaged.
D) Check that there is no debris lodged in the memory card slot. Blow or shake-out any dirt or debris in the memory card slot. Do not stick any object into the memory card slot – this can damage the camera.

SeaLife has discovered a compatibility issue with some recent releases of the Kingston brand 1GB memory cards. Not all Kingston 1GB cards are affected. The symptoms are:

"Card Error" or "Format Error" appears on LCD display and the camera will not take pictures unless you remove the card.
Your computer displays a "Format Card?" message when trying to connect the camera to your computer [with the corrupt card inside]
This problem is unique to some production lots of Kingston 1GB memory cards. Other popular brands of SD memory cards based on our testing and feedback from our service department do not have this "Card Error" issue. Kingston has informed us that the card has been discontinued. Customers experiencing this problem should return the card to the store where the card was purchased and exchange it for another model.

When you get the new memory card, make sure to format the camera's internal memory. Caution: Formatting the memory will delete any pictures in memory. Turn the camera power on without the memory card inside. Push the playback button and then the menu button. Select "format" and execute. Repeat the format process after installing the new memory card.

If you have pictures on the damaged memory card with a "Card Error" problem that you cannot access, there is image or data recovery software available that can recover the pictures from the memory card. Sandisk recommends a data recovery software called RescuePro. For more information about this image recall software, please refer to Sandisk product support website at
https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps.ps_main?p_host=304&p_supplier=5096&p_parm=PSHPP

Wow, Denise - thanks!

DANDY DON Oh I am about as chill on it as one can get. :) Heck it's taken me two weeks since the return from my trip to ask the question. Just wanted to be sure it isn't pointing to a problem other than one bad media card. I've been shooting digital since 2000, this is the first bad card I've had. So now I've experienced everything :)

Denise Thanks for the tip about formatting the internal memory. Probably somewhere in the manual:) I'll see about getting a replacement card from Sealife.

Like I said otherwise the camera and my other 2GB cards worked flawlessly. I am ready to go use it again, and again.

Back
Top Bottom