Rix Sweet Air SA-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which one?

There are three. One for each stage

1st stage. Part 515-343 (for USA 515-11388)
2nd stage. Part 515-269
3rd stage. Part 515-907 (-1,2,3,4,)
Available set for 3600,4000, 4500 or 5000 psig
For Full parts list click below:

SA-6 SPARE PARTS On Rix Industries

Iain Middlebrook

Thank you Ian.

I did not know each stage had relief valves. I thought the 3rd stage was the only one. Here is a picture of what the compressor looks like.
DSC_0001.jpg

I am looking for the relief valve for the 3rd stage. Actually I'm not sure who these drains are supposed to look. Do you know where I can find a drawing of how this is supposed to work?

Crikey, that's a pretty old SA-6, but some good news and bad.

1. The two drain valves at the base of the separators are Telydyne (no longer made) and were last used some 20 years ago. Strip and clean replaced the stem back up ring and 0-ring and they will work as new. But also clean and inspect inside the separator towers.

Replace or ultrasonic the dutch mesh stainless filter tube inside and the cap 0-ring. Also look at the spinner on the end of the filter tube for damage.

2. The 3rd stage discharge relief valve is already on the compressor, its on top of that small stainless Parker/Swagelok line valve that is tee'd into the JIC 4 discharge fitting.

The bad news is the end of it is completely missing, the cap, back up ring, stem and spring all missing. What you have there is a Swagelok Nupro RA3 proportional valve, Spring kit and a soft seal kit costs about $10, but you still need the cap and the locking washer. Replacement the whole valve about $130 you will need to clean and set the relief pressure.

3. Personally you need to loose that Parker line valve shouldn't block a relief valve that's plain crazy. Then IMHO turn that male brach tee up vertical and set the Nupro reliving valve on top vertical. Also then with the JIC outlet turn it 180 Degrees so it pokes out nicely at the 7 o clock position. Iain Middlebrook

I have a friend who has 2 that he's taken apart. He has the manual to put them together along with the rebuild kits. He's asking $2,500 for both + a large amount of SS couplings, filter stacks, etc. Sounds like a good deal to me?

Iain, thank your for your input. Ripley, I will keep your friend in mind, I may be interested in those compressors.

They're already sold! Was a great deal.

That looks like the RIX that was EBAY'd out of Tampa. You got a real fair deal on it. I have the other one they had, which was a bit newer. So far, I have rebuilt the carburetor and the fuel pump for the motor. I have replaced all the valves and the associated o-rings, etc., in the heads. I will be replacing the piston rings, followers, etc,. on all the stages as soon as I can get those parts here from RIX. So far, mine pumps up to pressure fairly well, but as the pressure gets above 2500 psi on a 100cf+ fills, the motor will bog and quit. After I do the piston rebuilds, I will be looking at the intermediate pressures and then back at the Motor if the problem is not resolved.

So far with mine, I found that the 3rd stage head had a fair amount of corrosion, which cleaned up very well in the ultrasonic cleaner. The second stage was a lot better, and the 1st stage was immaculate as could be expected. Overall, not to bad for its age and what I invested in it.

I have a very nice Newer SA-6b that was converted to electric as my main personal compressor. I picked this one up because it was local and would make a fun project. I also figured it would be cool to have a portable gas driven RIX for road trips and as a back up for my main one. I have no regrets buying it, and am continuing to learn more and more about working on RIX SA's. They are very easy to work on, and RIX is very easy to deal with and very helpful.

Iain/hsm is definitely someone to listen to. I have followed a lot of his previous posts on RIX SA's and picked up quite a bit of info. I'd love to pick his brain for awhile sometime!!

Cheers, Walt

Back
Top Bottom