Rivtow lion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Nanaimo guys, is the rivtow lion a shore dive or a boat dive?
Also, if one was to look at beginning to visit the wrecks over there what order would you suggest doing them in (skills progression/charter trip wise)?
Thanks,
Dale.

Rivtow is a boat dive, it is near the shore of Newcastle Island in Departure Bay. While shallower than the other two wrecks in the area, my experience has been it is a little darker and poorer vis than Snake island. I'd go to the Saskatchewan first, dive the conning tower, spend some time around the wheelhouse structure up forward as far as the forward guns. On second dives you can decide to move forward or towards the stern. I have done lots of diving there.., and there is always lots to see and something new. The Cape Breton is bloody big..., and it takes a couple dives just to see the whole thing. (I`m talking outside.., no penetration)

My order of preference would be (is) the Sask, then Cape Breton, then the Rivtow Lion

My personal preference is the Cape, the Saskatchewan and the Rivtow Lion. Of course I dive a CCR so bottom time is not a problem for me, with the Saskatchewan on a single Al80 you should get a 35-40 minutes bottom time. The only time I dive the Rivtow is when it's too nasty to go to the other wrecks. I spend 50 minutes one diving the Rivtow and I believe that I went around the wreck 3 times in and out during that 50 minutes. If you dive in Nanaimo give Ken from Diver's Choice Charter a Call, he run an outstanding charter.

Cheers

Al

Skills progression wise: The Rivtow is the easiest dive. Saskatchewan is much more demanding. Cape Breton is like the Saskatchewan but due to its' size is more demanding.

My personal preference is the Saskatchewan as there is sooooo much on the outside now. If you are a poky diver and like to look in all the nooks and crannys, then you could spend many dives exploring the outside of the Saskatchewa. Once you got back to the beginning you would have to start all over again because there is yet more new life!. The Breton is great too, but as already said, it is deeper so more challenging.

The Rivtow is a great little wreck to get your feet wet on wreck diving. Not too deep, and starting to get more life on it. We have seen octopus hidden in and under the wreck. This is a great place to practice the basic wreck diving skills before you move on to one of the others for the advanced skills. Open water divers like it because it is at a depth they can do it too.

Which to do first is all dependant on your comfort level. The Rivtow is a good starter. Once you have done the Breton or Saskatchewan though, you probably won't go back to the Rivtow much.

I second using Divers Choice Charters. Ken and Carolyn run a great operation and always make everyone feel welcome - great peanut butter pie too!

FWIW, it's the "Cape Breton". Not "The Cape" or "The Breton" or any other cutesy little nickname that those that aren't from Cape Breton would like to give it.

In a I poll I did with my Cape Breton buddies, they were unanimous in their opinion that to call it otherwise is insulting.

I would just like to second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for the Diver's Choice operation. Great boat, great swim step, and the best ladder I've ever climbed. Good people, Nitrox fills on the boat, and great food. What more could you want?

FWIW, it's the "Cape Breton". Not "The Cape" or "The Breton" or any other cutesy little nickname that those that aren't from Cape Breton would like to give it.

In a I poll I did with my Cape Breton buddies, they were unanimous in their opinion that to call it otherwise is insulting.

23 years in the Navy and a lot of the sailors I know call it "the Cape". Maybe "Wedivebc" would know better as he once bunk on the ship as a young sailor about 50 years ago:wink: Just joking Dave.
One thing HMCS Cape Breton as she was call in the old days, but I soon as she's was decommission she lost her title of HMCS. So when diver call HMCS Saskatchewan that wrong, it's the Saskatchewan. Only ship lost in battle keep their HMCS title, HMCS Esquimalt or British ship like HMS Hood etc.

OK! end of lesson.

Al

23 years in the Navy and a lot of the sailors I know call it "the Cape". Maybe "Wedivebc" would know better as he once bunk on the ship as a young sailor about 50 years ago:wink: Just joking Dave.
One thing HMCS Cape Breton as she was call in the old days, but I soon as she's was decommission she lost her title of HMCS. So when diver call HMCS Saskatchewan that wrong, it's the Saskatchewan. Only ship lost in battle keep their HMCS title, HMCS Esquimalt or British ship like HMS Hood etc.

OK! end of lesson.

Al

Sorry Brian, I have to agree with Al here. The sailors were calling her "the Cape" long before I was in the Navy and even though that wasn't as long as some would have you believe was still quite some time ago.

Sorry Brian, I have to agree with Al here. The sailors were calling her "the Cape" long before I was in the Navy and even though that wasn't as long as some would have you believe was still quite some time ago.

Fair enough. I have checked with my contacts in the CBLA (Cape Breton Liberation Army) and they have agreed that if the sailors called it "The Cape" then that is an acceptable nickname . The planned retaliatory strike on the Causeway will be postponed. However they think that calling it "The Breton" is just trying to be cute.

Now then on to the "Assiniboine". A lot of fun can be had with that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom