Riu Caribe - Scuba Caribe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm staying at the Riu Caribe the week after next where my wife will be completing her PADI OW cert. Has anyone stayed here before and/or used the dive shop services at this hotel? Any info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get some kind of idea what we are in for. I've found hotel reviews on-line but not much info in regards to their dive shop except what's on their website.

I'm doing my IDC with ScubaCaribe this summer. I haven't met them, but have heard wonderful things about them. They have been very helpful in getting me registered and answering any questions I have. I'de love to hear some first hand information from you after you get back. Good luck and have fun!
Jo

I dove with ScubaCaribe a couple of years ago..at a different hotel. They were professional, friendly, and the instructors were demanding and thorough.
I would dive with them again.

Dd, thanks for the info. I'm worried about the little lady - want to make sure she's in good hands. The thing about H20 Hounds... nobody can ever call us dirty dogs...

Jo, I'll post an update when we get back. I've communicated with them via email a few times and they were very responsive and helpful which is a big plus.

7 more days... waiting out the last week is always the worst.

Happy diving!!!

Thanks and I will be waiting for your reviews on them. Let me know the names of the people you go with. Thanks again!

Jo,
BEWARE!!! This was not a good experience for us at all. After we got to the hotel, we went to register with Scuba Caribe but nobody knew about our reservation. I showed them the printout that I was told to display when registering for our dives and nobody there had ever seen one of these papers before. They acted as if I had forged the document or something. The price quoted to us on the Internet was lower than the price they had posted in their price book and I guess they were leery.

Then there was this obnoxious lady at the counter. She did not belong in the tourist industry. When I asked about the charges and the exchange rate which was 11 pesos to 1 USD at their place, she became very defensive. I suppose that was because the rate was 10 to 1 in our hotel and just about everywhere else. I understand that the businesses normally charge a little more than the daily exchange rate but that seemed a bit high compared to the hotel. One would think that they would use the same exchange rate as the hotel they are located in. She began to enlighten me on her reasoning but I wasn’t interested and I think that pissed her off even more.

After some phone calls, they told us a boat would be coming to pick us up and take us to a dive shop which surprised me because I was led to believe that they were located at this hotel. At least that’s what they told me in an email. When that didn’t happen they said a bus would pick us up, and when that didn’t happen, they were going to throw us into a taxi. I asked how we would get back to the hotel and the rude and obnoxious lady had no idea nor did she show any concern for us or our well-being. We were reluctant to get into the taxi and she accused us of “not trusting the Mexicans”. That was the final straw. I cancelled our dives with Scuba Caribe and went with another company called Nautilus which is almost right across the street from the Riu Caribe (next to the now defunct Carlos and Charlies). This company was great and I would recommend them to anyone. The service was excellent and the people were great. I will post a full review on them soon.

I later found out that about a month ago, Scuba Caribe went under and the clients from the hotels that offer their services are now serviced by another company under the Scuba Caribe name. I’m not sure how their dive staff is but the staff at their little hut at the hotel was incompetent. On a brighter note, we never saw the rude lady again over the course of our vacation. I think the Riu staff may have removed her for having a confrontation with a guest.

Despite the poor management of Scuba Caribe, I must say that the Riu Caribe was excellent. It’s unfortunate that a great hotel like this is associated with such an unorganized dive operation. I hope you have better luck than we did. Please do let me know… Overall, the trip was great (thanks to Nautilus). My wife did certify and we lived happily ever after. It was unfortunate that we missed an entire day of diving since we were only there for 3 days. Next time, we’ll be staying at the hotel that houses Nautilus. It’s not the Riu but it’s only 55 USD a night. Let me know if you want more info on them. I did ask Nautilus if they teach the IDC and they do not. Good luck!

WW

So you did business with Hanikkah (is that how you spell her name??) Yes, they are really good. I've done lots of diving with Nautilus....but that is another story. So you were located in Cancun? I will be in Playa Del Carmen for my IDC. I do hope that things are better for me. Stories like that really scare me. Do you remember the ladies name? They did sent me an e-mail voucher. I also kept my paypal voucher. I will e-mail them again to make sure that is all I need. For something as long and expensive as an IDC, I SURE do hope it goes WELL!! Thanks for your information and report!!!!
Jo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom