Risks and Root Causes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If this post is in the wrong section, or has already been discussed elsewhere, I apologize.

As a new diver, I am likely at more risk than a seasoned diver, simply due to lack of practice and experience. Are there any "old dogs" who can answer a simple question?

As a new diver, what are the top, most likely ways, I will become injured, or worse? What are the usual "newbie" mistakes?

I'd like to take a moment and say thanks to you for bringing up a topic that many new divers may worry about. Seeking education about the pitfalls and how to avoid them is the best way to prevent them from happening. There have been some good responses and I think a lot of other new divers will benefit from your question.

Die? Probably not. However, you could suffer barotrauma to your ears. Ouch! In reality, this is completely avoidable.

Start early. Equalize your sinuses gently and early. Do it when you first get up. Why get ready if you can't equalize?

Do it again just BEFORE you descend, then do it way before you feel any additional pressure. If you do feel any pressure: STOP DESCENDING!!! If you can't equalize gently, then ascend a bit and try again. But PLEASE keep it gentle. Hopefully you won't have to ascend much, but don't hurt yourself. Over doing it will feel just as bad as not doing it enough. Yes, it's pretty common to feel weird the next day. Not good... just common. :D

The good news is that sinuses get tougher with use. The more you dive the less you will traumatize them... just keep it early and gentle.

Oh yeah... probably the most COMMON injury to the new diver is sunburn. Cover up.

I learned the most common injury the hard way. I bought a cheap cotton hat with a rim, e.g. fishing hat. I keep it in a BCD pocket. As I wait to get on the boat I put the hat on. I look like a dork :dork2: with my dripping wet hat but no sunburn. :D

wow some really great answers to the OP.

i didnt see this through the first 2 pages but i apologize if it was already addressed ...

when you are doing your training, make sure there is a level of comfort with who is training you and what they are teaching. if something seems unclear or too difficult, express this. as a teacher of anything, it is not always OBVIOUS to us what the student is thinking. some people make a face, others act in certain mannerisms... but we cant all read minds ... in other words, NEVER be afraid to ask for clarity.

secondly, make sure you do a bit of research about where to train and with whom ... than do your best to skill build. dont be a "card collector" and take classes for the benefit of taking classes. learn a skill than practice that skill. than practice it some more ... hone it, than move forward. NEVER stop practicing the original skill set.... as a professional, i still do share air, mask removal replace and clear (or removal and take out my backup mask and don and clear), and still work on buoyancy or finning on MANY dives...

be a sponge and practice what you have been taught

be well and dive safe!

I've seen people with a knee/elbow full of urchin spikes - not fun.
Hah! As a bystander I bet it would be great fun! Nothing makes us laugh harder than others hurting themselves (in a non-cripling way) :cool2:

scubadiver888:
I learned the most common injury the hard way. I bought a cheap cotton hat with a rim, e.g. fishing hat. I keep it in a BCD pocket. As I wait to get on the boat I put the hat on. I look like a dork :dork2: with my dripping wet hat but no sunburn. :d
In some of the hotter locations a wet hat can also keep your head cool, litterarilly while waiting to be picked up :p
And I bet it looks less dorky than the tomato sitting topless next to you anyways :wink:

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses. This was exactly the information I was looking for. Happy Diving!

Glad to hear you learned a bit. I think that ear trauma was the most remarked on in the thread. I know that more than one training agency cites it as the one most common injury encountered during OW training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom