RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His climbing feats were remarkable, so was his dedication to the Nepalese people and the environment later in life.

I also heard that he was hiking at lower elevations of the Himalayas up until last year, when he broke his hip. That would mean that he was hiking in the mountains at age 87. Talk about inspirational.

I was privileged to meet him about six or seven years ago. He was on a fund raising trip to the US for a hospital in Nepal. He gave a speech to a large gathering and then, for those of us making a sufficient donation, he attended a smaller party. My sister and I got him to autograph our copy of the above-posted National Geographic. My sister, although not a climber, is an Everest junkie and has been to Nepal and the foot of the mountain.

Some interesting insights offered to a few specific questions:
1) what technology helped his group that had been unavailable o previous climbers?---- he said "down jackets"...prior expeditons relied on heavy cloth which froze and impeded climbing.

2) why was he chosen to make the final assault? --- he said he was in the best physical condition and felt the strongest at that point in the climb; also, New Zealanders are the best ice climbers and Everest is largely an ice climb, particularly the final assault with the dreaded ice wall, or Hillary step.

3) his words "we knocked the bastard off" were published worldwide... he said his mother called him on his triumphant return, not to offer praise but to yell at him for cursing

4) he offered one bit of criticism: there can be only one 'first' to do anything. Not the 'first woman' or the 'first Asian', just the first person. period. Anything else engenders racism. Why, he asked, would someone tout being the 'first woman' in space. It's like saying 'the first blond in space' or the 'first guy named Fred' to climb Everest. It implies that being blond or named Fred makes you somehow different... intersting perspective.

5) he said he knew the world had changed when he was watching TV one night and his son called him --- from the peak of Everest using a satellite phone. He said it was creepy to hear his son's clear voice describing the things they left on the summit decades earlier

RIP --- you have to admire a guy who gets his face on his nation's currency in his lifetime!!

That National Geo cover is an outstanding picture of him, how wonderful to have an autograph and the stories to go with it ... Thank you for those interesting insights

Holy mackerel, how do you know that Sir Edmund Hillary will die tomorrow? Of course you're on the other side of that International Date Line (I wonder if even I could find a date over on that side).

I actually remember the news accounts of his reaching the summit when I was a wee young laddie. Quite an accomplishment. I can barely make it up 2,100 ft Mt. Orizaba here on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom