Rinsing the gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to soak regs for long term storage. Rinsing is a short term band-aid when soaking isn’t practical.

There are threaded assemblies that need to get the salt out. Also rotate and twist movable parts(except the cap) while soaking.
You can soak pressurized if you have a bottle to do it with.

Reg cleaning requirements are somewhat determined by the type of reg. My first stage is an environmentally sealed diaphragm, so cleaning requirements are a little different, as water shouldn’t be able to get in to any moving parts.

At the end of the day, I set up a big bucket filled with water and a bit of Salt Off (unless diving in fresh, then just water). Tanks are positioned next to it. Regs attached, and tanks pressurized. 2nd stages and computers, knives, etc. soak in the bucket. First stage and tank get rinsed thoroughly with the hose. 2nd stage purge and inflators are pressed a couple times. Then I leave it to soak while I clean the boat.

When the boat is done, I return to the gear that’s been soaking. Everything gets rinsed off again, including 1st stages and tanks.

BC used to be the most challenging, until I got a Zeagle. The outside of the BC gets dunked a few times in the bucket, then rinsed. Garden hose is attached to Salt Off mixer, which is attached to inflator corrugated hose. I run with Salt Off solution until bladder is full, then switch to plain water. I cycle each dump valve several times, then let drain and hang up. Usually the next morning, I’ll dump remaining water from lower dumps, and put away.

Water still gets in the threaded assemblies even if it don’t get in the moving parts. Verdigris can seize assemblies and make servicing a much harder job than necessary. Most manufacturers recommend a soak for a reason.

I have pulled apart enough regs to see how people fail to properly maintain them.

Good new thread on an old topic. As pointed out, people vary somewhat on what they do. My couple of usual points are:

--I rinse the reg with the cap on and not attached to the tank. Same reg., bought used 16 years ago. No problems in 800+ dives other than a repair job dur to sand (you only do that once).
--I only use a hose (or the shower, etc.) Never soaked anything. No problems there either in all that time. If you soak, logic says rinse with hose afterwords since salt get into the water it's soaking in.
--Very few know of or mention rinsing BC inside. Baby oil, lots of fresh water. Dump out for a day or two to get as much water out as possible. Prior to rinsing, and usually at the dive site, dump all the salt water out of it first.
--Rinse tanks. Then open valve to let air blow out and water around it.
--Rinse any weights that may then be inserted in a pouch belt for the next dive.

I shower while geared up at the dive site or spray the gear off with a pressurized sprayer.
Regs w/ DIN caps, light, bolt snaps, butt pack, etc. go in a small lidded tub with a gallon of water.
Suit and BC go in their tubs with another shallow tub on top to limit evaporation.
At home, the BC is flushed, then the suit and BC soak in the bathtub, and then dry on the shower rod and an inverted tub.
Regs and other small bits get their water changed, bolt snaps manipulated, rinsed and set to dry.

(For ocean shore diving two hours from home.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom