Right or wrong? Diver kills Tiger Shark.

My thought are (pick as many as you like):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is actaually video on this situation. i saw something on Msnbc. they were on one of the mornings shows. The camera man said that he postured to the shark when it appeared to be attacking, shoved his camera toward the shark, and the shark turned away. Then they speared it and kept spearing it before they could get it to the surface for it to die.

I do think it was the right thing to do if the shark was going to die. put it out of its misery. I just think that I, and maybe others, have a more difficult time with the story because they were skin diving. So they had to surface at some point. I would think at some point a boat would have been close by to get them out of there. Especially if they were fishing for tuna since those fish needed to go somewhere so i think that a boat was around somewhere close.

Just a freaky situation and hopefully they got what they were looking for, whether it be dinner, trophies, or 15 minutes of fame.

You might be right about the picture... it kinda looked like Mr. Clasen on the right and the victim with what appears to be 5 to 6 wounds on its upper jaw(if its not him or the shark in question I appologize to both).... the question is... it happened last year, I believe in June, why is it only coming out now???? If someone saved my life like that, I would have been hailing the guy as a hero from all the news outlets after we got back on shore.... Just my opinion

Last edited:
Its one thing to fend off a potentially agressive tiger..but this is something else entirely. Movies like JAWS, and Orca have given us the wrong view. (even though they were years ago)

Its my understanding that sharks are NOT vengeful critters. Meaning..they aren't going to keep coming back at you if you punch them in the nose. Just aint gonna happen. And sure as heck aint gonna happen for two frickin hours.

I hope this guy gets fined for..something.

As to whether it is insane to be discussing this.... well... why did the OP post then and initiate a poll on it for unless he wanted to initiate discussion and elicit opinions?

It's not insane to discuss, it's insane to pass judgment based on a pitiful amount of questionable information and a few photos.

The OP clearly wanted to stir up the pot... it's common behavior around here. :shakehead: If you haven't noticed that yet, you will soon enough...

It looks like all the photos were taken after the shark was dead.

I gotta dispute this point. There's video of this from CNN. ( Diver fights off 12-foot shark - AOL Video ) And the video was clearly started before the shark was dead.

This is why I'm so dubious about this whole thing. If there was truly life threatening danger, why the heck is the videographer just calmly sitting there filming it. There's not even any camera shake, for crying out loud!

That's why I just have trouble believing this was some dire situation.

Last edited:
It's not insane to discuss, it's insane to pass judgment based on a pitiful amount of questionable information and a few photos.

The OP clearly wanted to stir up the pot... it's common behavior around here. :shakehead: If you haven't noticed that yet, you will soon enough...

Actually Thal just started the POLL because there was another thread started by another so consider the pot stirred by somebody else.

And, I believe bowlofpetunias is familiar with the inner workings of SB :D

... As to whether it is insane to be discussing this.... well... why did the OP post then and initiate a poll on it for unless he wanted to initiate discussion and elicit opinions?
Actually I did it to quantify results without provoking a whole lot of prose on the subject, there was a perfectly good thread going that I really did not want to shut down ... all I wanted to do was augment it. But I appear to have failed.

That may be clear to you, but you're wrong. I guess a behavior that is more common around here than, "stirring the pot," is ascribing motives to people you don't know, concerning situations that you don't comprehend.

Please consider this a formal request by the OP to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom