Right On or Rude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that diving experience means nothing. I could have been diving for 50 years and be a horrible diver. Of course I could have been certified and only make 1 or 2 trips for diving every 3-5 years. Then there is the person that has 4-5 years diving experience with 800-1000 dives. To a diver time means nothing for experience. It is a combination of the number/quality of your dives.

I don't think he was out of line either. If they were sucking down air that fast, everyone already knew about it so what is the point to speaking with them in private.

Chalk another one up to "it's not what you say it's how you say it." That addage takes things a little far, but the DM was totally cool in helping those divers, but perhaps could have found a more tactful way to bring it up. That being said I have a friend who sounds a lot like this DM - blunt is putting it mildly. He can be a bear, but he always has your back.

redhatmama:
The DM had to share his air with both of them during the dives. To me that is an incentive to try and improve you air consumption in and of itself.

It is? You know, as amazing as this sounds, some divers don't give a rat's a55 about these things. Maybe the DM had a problem with it but it could very be that the divers in question weren't really interested in improving. There are *divers* and there are people who dive.... Only the former care to improve.

This DM/guide/instructor is a very good diver and not just a dive guide. He's a PADI Master Diver Instructor, certified full cave diver, and a TDI instructor. He's also very strict and if you do something that displeases him, he makes this gesture of clutching his head as if he were pulling his hair out. :) Put a fin in the sand and you'll get a hair-pull. He is also a self-professed "mother hen" and the highest compliment is for him not to ask you for your tank pressure.

I see. So you're saying that he's an over-controlling (mother hen) freak of a DM who can't distinguish between divers and under-water tourists (see above) and is unable to separate his roll as instructor from his roll as dive guide....

Just giving you a different way of seeing this......

R..

Drewpy:
Sounds like Memo of Aldora....????

No, it wasn't Bill "Memo" or Memo Mendoza. But it was Aldora. You nailed it.

I think I would have applauded the DM. Having a couple hoovers affects everyone in the group if you have to go down and come up together. As long as the DM is willing to help them correct what they are doing wrong, instead of just saying they suck, I dont have a problem with it.

I do have a problem with sharing air with them just to continue the dive. Safe?

Diver0001:
<snip> You know, as amazing as this sounds, some divers don't give a rat's a55 about these things. Maybe the DM had a problem with it but it could very be that the divers in question weren't really interested in improving. There are *divers* and there are people who dive.... <snip>.
R..
Now that you've nailed it, what else is there to be said? The 1 diver having 10yrs experience, has a whole 30min BT on a 120cf? He's a vacation diver and could give a rats arse about SAC. IMO, waste of time for the DM. YMMV

Diver Dennis:
I do have a problem with sharing air with them just to continue the dive. Safe?
I've seen it done, haven't done it, doubt I ever will, but it's done.

Back
Top Bottom