right motor for a tank tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davidstealey3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am trying to figure out the right motor to use for a tank tumbler. i have gone to a cpuple motor supply stores and they cant tell me what to use without the frame size and horsepower i want and ect.. does anyone have any idea what kind to use?
i would like to be able to put a cheep speed variable control onto the unit to adjust the output speed for tanks of different diamaters.
please help

First of all, it takes VERY little power to tumble a tank. A 1/15 HP motor (like a sewing machine motor) is more than enough.

Second, you want low speed, so you really want a gearmotor, not simply a motor. If you can direct connect the output of the gearbox to the drive roller (maybe with one of those spider connectors that have a rubber piece between the input and output hubs) then you want the rated output speed of the gearmotor to match the fastest speed you want on the roller. I'm guessing this is a few tens of RPMs. If you plan to link the motor to the roller with a belt or chain, then you can go up to 5 times faster or slower.

Lastly, the easiest motor to speed control from 120VAC is called a Universal motor. These motors are used in sewing machines, hand drills (corded, not cordless), shop-vacs, etc. You can just hook them to a standard lamp dimmer from the home store.

Suitable motors cost hundreds of dollars new, so I imagine you want a used one.

An example of what I'm talking about is eBay item 310164163164.

With the addition of a bridge rectifier after the dimmer, you could use a 90V DC motor. These tend to be nicely made, and more expensive. An example is 320417910472.

If you're a cheap bast...d like me, maybe you want to try this: 3 OUTPUT GEARMOTOR ASSEMBLY-MPJA, Inc.

There's better availability of cheap surplus 12 and 24 volt DC motors, but these require a power supply to run off the AC line. The 9902 PS at mpja.com would be suitable to run a small 12V gearmotor like their 16779MD.

Don't hesitate to ask if you want advice on anything specific you might find.

D

David -

This is a universal motor like I was talking about. It would be perfect for a tumbler: eBay item 290344068737. I have a very similar motor driving the feed on a drum sander I built. You could use a dimmer as a speed control, or just connect to the 120V outlet.

Though a bit expensive by my standards, this would be an awesome motor for your purpose: eBay item 230372574899. Another good one is 260469301288. These would need a bridge rectifier (simple addition of a part that's $2.59 at Radio Shack). Add a dimmer if you want speed control.

This one isn't adjustable speed, but you just wire it to 120V and attach to your tumbler! 180401839594.

For cheap, these would probably work, though they wouldn't last as long as the others:180396517200. Bridge rectifier and optional dimmer.

D

Go out on trash day and trash pick, dumpster diver, dog rob a unused treadmill off the curb. People just get sick of them with clothes hanging off the dang thing and pitch them out. It is already about 2/3 done. Just use a skateboard for the wheels to prevent it from rolling back off the thing. The belt takes care of the rest.

I am going to build one and will post it here.

thanks guys. i didnt know anyone posted to this untill today, so some of the ebay items have ended allready. i tried to do some looking on my own and from what i have found it looks like you need a 1/4 hp motor or bigger. i am trying to do up to 4 tanks at a time so i am not sure if a smaller hp motor will work or not.
i do appreciate the help and if anyother items come up, or you have some more ideas please let me know. i am in no hurry to build this thing. i dont need it till febuary or march.

I use a Brother BG3 1/4 HP 25:1 reduced gear motor on my tank tumbler.

Model # G3KM18-0255K1A . . . if it helps.

Turns at 79 rpm.

Works quite well.

the K

I'd say from 60 to 100 rpm.

One can always buy some pulleys and step the motor rpm down with a pulley-belt system.

the K

Until you said 4 tanks at a time I was thinking rotisserie motor like what is used on gas grills.

Back
Top Bottom