Rigging SM with a Dive Rite TransPacll harness and Trek wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just scored a DR TransPacll with butt plate and was looking for some input and pics as to your mounting or clipping off in the SM configuration. All of the info I have found so far is for the Nomad or Razor and it was not as detailed as I would like. I did however learn how to set up or orient the harness straps to my person. I would like to see your rings, clips, connections, and bungies that you use on the top of your tanks. I followed the choker clip thread from Netdoc but, would like to see the final result in use or attached to his harness. Any and all input is appreciated.

I'm on board with this one too... I have the same setup and, although I work at a shop and have had plenty of help rigging everything up, I would love to see other ppl's setups. I use a Hog 32lb wing though for compactness since I'm not cave diving with it yet. Plan to upgrade the rig to SMS100 when I actually start wreck penetration and cavern/cave (which will be a year or 2 off).

I found the non sewn wings to need serious banding to keep them from just floating away.

I have tried it with Trek Wings, and with Travel Wings, and basically found it to be too much of hassle to deal with, because once you have to band the wings then the air travel from side to side is tricky.

I started out with a tranpac and rec wing under the harness but needed too much weight to trim out. Then I got a Nomad and with the bungee pretty snug it left the majorgring aroity of the lift at the bottom where its needed. I still need 6 lbs of harness weight to trim out properly but with the rec wing it was closer to 12. I just use 17 inch bungees to secure the tanks up snuggly, pulled over the valves. As for tank hardware I like a hogring around the valve with a double ender connected and clip it to my top d ring and at the bottom, I have 2 radiator style clamps with a large quicklink connected to them and a large boltsnap connected to that. Ive tried about everything else and have found what I like. Getting all hooked up is confusing the 1st few times but now its pretty fluid. If there is shallow water to stand in I connect there but if its a giant stide entry I sit between my 2 tanks, bottoms facing me ad connect the bottom to each door handle on my buttplate. The I clip my lighthead off to my left upper d ring, pulling the slack from behind [canister mounts to buttplate, cord comes over right hip].Then I leave short hose reg[right tank] behind me as I lift the bottle up and connect double ender to upper right d ring. The short hose on reg comes over my right shoulder and has a hard 90 degree fitting and I hang it around my neck by its bungee. I have a spare wing nflator on my right tank as well since I have a dual Nomad but I dont connect it it just tucks under a band until needed. I then clip lighthead to right upper d ring and proceed wih left tank, already connected at the bottom I pull it up and connect the double ender to my left upper d ring, wing inflator comes over my left shoulder and connects to corregated hose and longhose, yes I like mine on the left tank, comes up with enough slack to come around my neck and clip off to a center ring I added to my chest strap. Lastly, I pull out on my 17 inch bungees and hook them over each valve, pointing forward, to snug everthing up, check everything is working and go. It works for me but sidemount is very personal when it comes to configsand different regs have to angle different with hoses in different ports but if your patient it rules. Dont know how to post any pics here sorry but good luck.

Back
Top Bottom