Riddle Me This...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattymatt

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, after some consideration and lots of reading on scubaboard, I think I have pretty well narrowed down my equipment choices. However, I have another question that has come up that I am confident you all can answer.

A friend who is a very experienced diver has recommended that I go with a pony bottle/octo setup for my alternate air source. Now, I plan on doing a lot of travel diving (via air) and would have to leave the pony bottle at home. I would then be without an octo. Is this a problem and how do I solve it?

My first reaction when seeing someone with only one reg on their main tank and their buddy reg on their pony bottle.. I get a little offended. What, I'm not important enough for your main gas supply?

When was the last time that gas got checked, changed, even the pressure checked to make sure it's full? If you want to dive a pony bottle, dive it for -your- backup, not for your buddy to use. Run with two 2nds off your main bottle and a 3rd off your pony, rather than just one and one.

mattymatt:
Okay, after some consideration and lots of reading on scubaboard, I think I have pretty well narrowed down my equipment choices. However, I have another question that has come up that I am confident you all can answer.

A friend who is a very experienced diver has recommended that I go with a pony bottle/octo setup for my alternate air source. Now, I plan on doing a lot of travel diving (via air) and would have to leave the pony bottle at home. I would then be without an octo. Is this a problem and how do I solve it?

Bring a small pony, about 6 or 13 cu ft, and travel with it disassembled in your carry-on. As long as it is open, valve off, no one should complain at the airport security stations.

You still need an octo however, even though you also have a pony. Or an air-2 configuration. The pony cannot reasonably take the place of your octo. The octo is your buddy's alt air source. The pony is your own alt air source.

I personally would buy an octo for your reg regardless of whether I was using a pony or not. Remember, you can always remove the octo if you don't want it. Plus, you might be able to transport the pony if you want to - just take the valve off and plug the top of the pony. Someone was just recently mentioning doing this.

I checked your profile and don't see anything as to your certification and experience.

It makes a difference.

For new divers, actively diving less than a year it is better to keep a more simple gear config and work on good buddy skills along with all the other skills of good diving.

With more experience comes the knowledge and experience to make different choices safely.

For solo diving and 'same ocean' buddy diving, having fully redundant gas on each diver is a good idea.

For sport diving I like to use a 7' hose on the primary and a necklaced secondary. If I need redundant gas I rig it as a stage bottle.

Use the KISS system, Keep It Simple Silly.
As you get comfortable with gear and skills you can add more gear (if needed, wanted) and skills/tasks. Trying to do too much too soon is dangerous and tends to burn people out early.

mattymatt:

TSA's site prohibits scuba tanks from checked or carry-on luggage, but - I've flown with mine 5 times since July, with no problems yet. They can confiscate it, I know, but I risk it anyway.

So, I hit the water with 3 different second stages - 2 connected to my primary first stage & tank, 1 to my pony. Cost more, but good Scuba does generally.

don

I am not a Tech diver, apparently I don't do anything right, and I don't pretend to be any kind of expert. However, you sound like I was a few years ago so I will tell you my opinions (but only because you asked).

I suggest that you keep things simple in the beginning. I started off by getting simple gear similar to what I was certified using. I did not want to make things overly complicated at the outset. Over time I learned more, and then I was in a better position to make informed decisions about what to do or buy. You can always add more gear and more complexity later.

Some people know exactly what they want from the beginning, and that's great. Others of us want to learn and grow and have some fun. I wanted to keep things simple at first and just learn to be comfortable in the water, and to focus my attention on diving and diving skills.

My buddy is a gadget freak, so he has to have every doodad and gizmo in the world. It took a while before he was able to utilize everything he carried with him. Of course that is just his way, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you are handy, you could have an octo for traveling, and you could remove it from the first stage and plug the hole whenever you choose to switch. Personally I think that there is value in keeping your gear configuration as (relatively) consistent as possible so that you know immediately where everything is regardless of where you are diving.

Remember that just because you have a Pony it doesn't mean that you can't also have an Octo. Some would crucify me for heresy suggesting extraneous gear on your body, but it is ultimately your decision. I would have the standard set up and add the Pony as an addition whenever the circumstances warranted it, but that is just me.

Of course I have an Air2 on my BC and there are those that would shun me for such a configuration.

Sorry for the rambling. I had some points in my mind, I just hope they didn't get lost between there and the finger tips.

Wristshot

I know that others wouldn't necessarily agree with all of this recommendation but, here it is. Get an Air2 in addition to what you are currently using. It serves well as an alternate air source for when you really need it. It's reasonably inexpensive and it leaves you streamlined as there's one less hose dangling around. Just remember that it is a reg and does need an annual servicing like your other one does. Other than that, you should be good to go.

David

yoda4x4:
I know that others wouldn't necessarily agree with all of this recommendation but, here it is. Get an Air2 in addition to what you are currently using. It serves well as an alternate air source for when you really need it. It's reasonably inexpensive and it leaves you streamlined as there's one less hose dangling around. Just remember that it is a reg and does need an annual servicing like your other one does. Other than that, you should be good to go.

David

I only realy have one problem with a AIR2 type of octo. Most people forget how it is to be used. I say this because I needed to share air twice, once for real and the other while demostrating during a OW class that I was DMing for. Both times my buddy was attempting to pass me the AIR2. This included the other DM that I was working with during the OW class.

It is just one of those things that seem like a good idea, but really never seem to work out.

My 2 cents, DSAO

I used this configuration from day 1 because I like being streamlined, (Air 2 or in my case the Seaquest Air Source), and I like having a totally redundant breathing system. I use a 13CF pony for winter shore dives and a 30CF pony/deco bottle for boat dives.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom