Ribbit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akula

Reaction score
So what exactly is the big deal with wanting to be able to frog kick. I've gleaned from the various posts that it kicks up less silt and I guess helps your legs from cramping. Is that or am I missing something.

I love my TUSA's and have had none of the problems that everyone seems to put to the split fins. Speedy, very manuverable, and easy on the legs and ankles. As far as the people I see stir up the silt are those that like to swim head up when near the bottom. It tends to be a lack of experience or just plain sloppiness rather than what kind of fins they have on that kills the viz.

After three years of diving out here in California I've seen a grand total of ZERO divers using a frog kick, so again what is the big deal?

Have you ever gone wreck diving?

The frog kick is usually a necessity to keep from silting out. When penetrating a wreck one must consider the floor, the ceiling and the walls. No matter what orientation they are in.

Nope haven't been wreck diving, maybe next year.

I kind of figured that is was for silt/overhead issues.

Is there any other uses for that kick?

It just seems that everyone unfairly bashing the hell out of them for all uses. Seems to me more of "back in my day that's when divers were really divers" sort of arguement"

Hard to beleive you have seen "0" divers using the frog kick. During a dive a variety of kick styles are normally used depending on the terrain. Here where we have very dense reefs and lots of small critters a very slow frog kick above the reef is best- almost just an ankle flip. For cruising a steady frog or fluter is used as we ease through swim thoughs under reefs the kick changes again. A good pair of fins allows for all styles of kicks if needed, most split fins seem to lack in one or more of these styles.

My air consumption improved noticeably when I began using the frog more frequently. I now only use the flutter when I need an immediate and rapid burst of speed.

With the flutter, I'm using the large (hungry) muscles in my thighs. For frog, it's mostly in the lower leg and ankles... much more efficient.

Akula once bubbled...
So what exactly is the big deal with wanting to be able to frog kick. I've gleaned from the various posts that it kicks up less silt and I guess helps your legs from cramping. Is that or am I missing something.

Have you ever followed a diver swimming 5-7' off the sandy bottom and noticed the stirring effect their kicks have on the loose matter on the bottom. Imagine if that loose stuff was a 6 inch deep layer of almost weightless powder from rotted vegetable matter and think about the dust storm those down thrusts would create. With a frogkick one can swim almost touching that sediment and not stir it one iota.

John F

I can frog kick almost as fast as I can flutter, if I wanted to go full out. I rarely do. But it's more relaxing - I can kick, glide, relax.... kick, glide, relax... take a look at a fish... kick, glide, relax... etc.

We do all our training diving classes out at Lake Meade in NV. I know exactly what you are talking about witht he viz as the bottoms in most places has a 6 inch to a foot layer of silt and plant matter settled on it. It's so deep in spots you can actually swim through the junk on the bottom and it parts around you like soup. Two or three hard kicks and it's instant zero viz for ten or so feet in all directions.

As far as cruising the bottom a very small flutter leaves nothing more than a few puffs that quickly settle out. Mind you the only time this works is when either level or head down. Start rasing up and it's a smoke screen behind.

I'll have to give the frog kick when I go out next weekend, see if it will work for me. Normaly if I want small movements or slow easy cruising I just tend to use less and less leg until it's nothing more than just a bit of lower leg movement and a flip of the ankle.

I have to admit that I find it hard to believe you've never seen anyone using the frog kick as well. I use a frog kick almost exclusivly while wreckdiving in the Great Lakes.

I find it useful for practicing in quarries and inland lakes as well. The silty bottom of such waters is easilly stirred up. The frog kick can really help avoid this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom