RI Dive Conditions 7/15-7/16/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't seen anyone posting on RI conditions lately so here it goes.

Saturday I did a dive with Dave aka "ThatsSomeBadHatHarry" at Beavertail Parking Lot 2 and another at Bass Rock in Narragansett. Vis was probably in the 10 ft range on both dives. Water temps were right around 63 degrees F at both sites down to around 30 ft.

Sunday Dave and I did Beavertail Parking lot 3, and got down to 44 ft and had a min temp of 59 degrees F. Vis was about 10 ft again. We had some decent swells rolling in when we finished which made for a relatively exciting surf exit on the rocks.

Dave had to leave so I switched buddies and joined up with Ed aka "Tampico_Ed" for the afternoon. Best part of that dive was watching Ed mockingly complaining about the "cold" as he suited up into his Weezle on a hot July day! :D The vis had dropped to about 5 ft since the morning. Water temp was about 61 F at 30 ft.

Chris
we made the run from Jamestown to the Vineyard on Saturday. I was pretty foggy so we didn't dare anchor up on something like the Dwight or Trojan. We stayed overnight on a mooring at Menemsha and dove Herman Winter on Sunday. We had absolutely spectacular conditions. I anchored in 23' of water and you could see the bottom and the wreck below us ( I could even see right were the anchor landed). My wife Karen and I dropped in and were greeted by honest 40' vis. The wreck was loaded with Stripers of various sizes, Tautog and fluke. On the way back we picked our way through fog banks until we cleared sow & pigs reef then it opened right up!

sean22:
We stayed overnight on a mooring at Menemsha and dove Herman Winter on Sunday. We had absolutely spectacular conditions. I anchored in 23' of water and you could see the bottom and the wreck below us ( I could even see right were the anchor landed).

Wow, that sounds great. Herman Winter is definitely a nice dive. I think it was the second wreck I ever dove back when I was still in high school but the vis definitely wasn't that good!

When I first did it with two of my high school buddies, we were on a 20 ft Boston Whaler with no GPS or sounder and we had to find it using ranges alone. When we hit what we thought was the site I just freedived to the bottom to make sure we were over the wreck, which amazingly we were on the first try. I saw the wreck, came right back up and we all geared up for our dive. :D

Diesel298:
at least somones diving

Do you know how much longer you are dry for? Hope you get back in the water soon!

prob. a few more weeks

RIOceanographer:
Do you know how much longer you are dry for? Hope you get back in the water soon!

Sorry I have to come in and make the obligatory obnoxious Gidds post at Dr. Nerd and Sasquatch the Buddy Snatcher:

:mooner::mooner::mooner:

Fish and inverts? Details man, DETAILS! Are there any new pics if I go snoop on your page? What exactly is wrong with wearing a drysuit in July? I do it :28:

i bet ya do

Back
Top Bottom