Rhabdomyolysis in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious about the term 'perfect storm' your doctor used. Did he/she mean that all of the factors that caused the rhabdomyolysis was just kind of an unlucky combination of causes?

I am curious whether the use of a dive suit, with some overheating, could have contributed? What type of suit did you use, and do you think this may have contributed to dehydration?

SeaRat

I've worked in pediatric intensive care as an RN for 5 years. We had a student athlete who came to us in rhabdo. He was at football practice and the coach (despite all evidence out now to keep hydrated) did not let this student drink, even when the need was verbalized emphatically. He collapsed and was brought to us. He was on hemodialysis for a a few day until his kidneys began to function properly. I've seen/cared for others with rhabdo minus a crush injury.

Judging by your last post, you were 'a perfect storm' just waiting to happen. Glad you're better and did not need dialysis. A good reminder to us all about properly maintaining our most important piece of equipment - ourselves!

Interesting case and a good lesson. Glad you recovered fully.

Back
Top Bottom