Reviving an old drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scuba-74 - yes, my suit is significantly tall (I am 6'-7", and I would estimate there is at least 12" extra, and likely more...

Never had an issue with the fold...

Right off the bat I face some obstacles!

The inflator has what the manual identifies as a "SeaTec Nipple" (13a). The hose I got apparently fits the other kind of nipple (13). So, which one is more of a standard these days? Should I get a new hose, a new nipple, or a new valve?

Ironically, the hose is actually made by Apeks. But that would be too easy if there was one standard even within the gear produced by the same manufacturer...

Can you remove the inflator from the suit? Me and my dive buddy got a bunch of gear, kind of an estate sale. Anyway, there was a dump valve and inflator in it. Needs about a 1-1/2 inch hole in the suit. There's no brand on it, just says made in Canada. Standard bc nipple.

Can you remove the inflator from the suit? Me and my dive buddy got a bunch of gear, kind of an estate sale. Anyway, there was a dump valve and inflator in it. Needs about a 1-1/2 inch hole in the suit. There's no brand on it, just says made in Canada. Standard bc nipple.

Actually, it turns out SeaTec nipple accepts standard BC LP hose. It doesn't look anywhere near the standard BC inflator nipple, but somehow it works with the standard female connector. Here is the picture:

https://scubasupport.nl/971-large_default/inflator-nipple-seatec-ap7005-apeks.jpg

So, problem solved for me, and I was able to pump the suit! Thank you for offering help!

Before you cycle the zipper again, lubricate it! Other than that, if the valves work and the seals are OK, it will be fine. I have one about that old and a newer one. They are nearly indestructible. I know only two people who have ever worn out a CF200 and both are *very* active instructors. It took one of them nearly 20 years...

Zip seals are a very worthwhile upgrade.

Zip seals are ridiculously expensive. And if you want dry gloves, a pair of gloves with Zip seals are over $150. I always hear about people babying their gloves and spending a ton of time patching holes. Plus, with Zip seal dry gloves you can’t get geared up and then put gloves on. Zip seal dry gloves are on the suit.

IMO, one of the SiTech neck and wrist systems would be a better choice. You can add whatever dry glove system that fits your wrist system (round or oval). A dry glove system would run around $175, but the gloves are $5-$6 a pair.

So, problem solved for me, and I was able to pump the suit! Thank you for offering help!

Good to hear yours worked. Do you still have the suit pumped up? Is it someplace you can pour soapy water on it?

Good to hear yours worked. Do you still have the suit pumped up? Is it someplace you can pour soapy water on it?

I left it in the garage, hopefully it still has air :) I'm thinking if it holds air (or at least doesn't lose all of it overnight), next step would be to bring it to the local pool. My LDS has a 2hr time block every week so people can practice, which is very convenient.

Zip seals are ridiculously expensive. And if you want dry gloves, a pair of gloves with Zip seals are over $150. I always hear about people babying their gloves and spending a ton of time patching holes. Plus, with Zip seal dry gloves you can’t get geared up and then put gloves on. Zip seal dry gloves are on the suit.

IMO, one of the SiTech neck and wrist systems would be a better choice. You can add whatever dry glove system that fits your wrist system (round or oval). A dry glove system would run around $175, but the gloves are $5-$6 a pair.

Well, I'm glad to hear there is more than one option. Dry gloves are very long term planning for me at this point:) First I need to take the suit to the water and see if it fits/works well. I can only hope that current seals will last me a few dives, and hopefully by that time I'll get a better idea of how much I want to invest in a 20 y.o. suit. It does look like it's build like a rock, but the sheer length of it freaks me out a little :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom