Revisiting LED primary lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at the Light Monkey/Leviathan/Salvo 21W LED light with 6 degree focused beam as a backup/light for girlfriend. Exactly how tight is 6 degrees compared to my 21W HID? Before I make a purchase I'll fire off an email to the instructor but has anyone heard of this light being accepted in a cave 1 class? The burn time is very attractive.

-Nick:cool2:

The light I'm talking about:

Light Monkey 1021 - 21W LED Dive Light

Last edited:
That seems like a heck of a light for a backup primary. You obviously aren't as cheap as I am :wink:

Tom

I'm looking at the Light Monkey/Leviathan/Salvo 21W LED light with 6 degree focused beam as a backup/light for girlfriend. Exactly how tight is 6 degrees compared to my 21W HID? Before I make a purchase I'll fire off an email to the instructor but has anyone heard of this light being accepted in a cave 1 class? The burn time is very attractive.

-Nick:cool2:

The light I'm talking about:

Light Monkey 1021 - 21W LED Dive Light

I haven't seen this light myself, but if this is the same design as the Salvo 21w, the reports I've heard are a mixed bag. The first batch had bad electronics (fixed now), but it's not as bright as an HID, and the surface area of the emitter is such that you don't get a pinpoint hotspot as with an HID. Some people like that, others don't.

But for the price, I don't see a huge advantage and I would just go with the 21w HID. If you're investing in this class of light, you want brightness and reliability. The HID trumps the LED version in the first, and has a better track record in the second.

I have the Salvo 21W HID, this light would be a primary for my girlfriend (think warm water night dives in tropical locations). If I'm going to buy her a decent light though I'd like to be able to use it as a backup for myself in case mine fails. I believe LED is the future, but I'm still waiting for it to get to the level of HID. I can wait a little longer :)

I can't comment on this light, but I have an HID light with a 6 degree spread, and it's unsatisfactory for communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom