Reviews from customers -inside-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwistedGray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Recently we sold a system to a personal submarine community. They build their own submarines and wanted a system so that they could find the submarine if it decides to stop working while they are down. They have a transmitter on the submarine and a receiver at the surface. If within some amount of time the submarine does not surface the diver hops in with the receiver and heads towards the transmitter on the submarine. Here is their review:

Because of time constraints, only a limited test was performed with the acoustic pinger. The unit tested was the DiveTracker Sport System with factory settings from Desert Star Systems out of Marina, CA (Welcome to Desert Star Systems LLC). The unit is designed as a SONAR navigation system for divers. The owners manual for the unit is comprehensive and well written and can be downloaded at this site. The transmitter and receiver come package in a rugged Pelican 1150 case. Both the transmitter and the receiver are built into identical cases that are 5 inches long with a diameter of 2.5 inches. The transmitter (DTS-TX) has an “ON” “OFF” dial on the side to activate the unit. The receiver (DTS-RX) has a dial with positions of “OFF”, “HI” and “LO” gain and comes with a lanyard to attach to the divers wrist. Both units have a low battery indicator. The transmitter uses six “AA” Alkaline batteries cells and the receiver uses a 9VDC alkaline battery. The battery life according to the manufacture is good for 1 week of continual operation. I have not confirmed this.

As a simple test, to determine the effect of orientation of the transmitter, the transmitter was positioned in many different orientations with the receiver positioned about 10 ft from the transmitter. No change in the receiver signal was noted.

The transmitter was held in vertical orientation about 2 ft from the surface in a location where the water depth was 5 ft. Two divers with one holding the receiver submerged approximately 200 yards from the transmitter to a depth of about 5 ft and used the receiver to try and track in on the transmitter. The initial setting on the receiver was “HI”. It became apparent immediately that at this distance this was much to sensitive. The divers reset the receiver to “LO” and proceed to rotate in the water column 360 degrees to detect the transmitter. Within an angle spread of approximately +/- 15 degrees the receiver detected the transmitter. They proceeded underwater from this point heading for the maximum intensity bearing and were able to make a direct approach on the transmitter until they were about 8 feet from the transmitter. At this point they were so close that the no matter where they pointed the receiver they were getting a strong signal. Because the water visibility was only about 5 feet, they ended up passing the receiver and had to reverse course and double back to find the transmitter. It hard to draw any significant conclusions from such a limited test particularly to confirm the 2000 ft maximum range but from what I have seen of the unit I will begin using the equipment on my boat for each dive to help divers locate the boat in poor visibility in an emergency situation. Hopefully I will be able to do a more comprehensive test on a future dive.

There is one issue that would effect this system for use at a psub convention in which multiple boats were equipped with these transmitters. The transmitter frequency can not be varied by the end user. By changing the dip switch settings in the transmitter, it is possible to change the pulse rate from 0 to 15 pps but it would still be hard to distinguish between different boats transmitting in the same area. As noted by manufacturer, if you had multiple boats stranded at the same time, you would just have to hunt down the strongest signal, mark it location and turn off it’s transmitter then head for the new strongest signal until all the boats are located. With the cost of these units being reasonable, I would not have a problem in recommending this system to other psubbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom