REVIEW „TecLine Donut Ultra Light Travel Set - Wing Type : Donut 17 (17kg)”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Blank

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Guys,

since I had a hard time finding good information on the products out there, I decided to write a little review regarding my latest piece of gear. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help..

Ordered via diving-store.net in December 2015

Price: ~ €400,-

Delivery Contents:

• Wing Donut 17
    • Bladder
    • Wing
    • Inflator Unit
    • Single Tank Adapter
    • Two Straps)
  • Aluminum Back Plate
  • DIR Harness (fully assembled to backplate)
    • Main Harness Strap (Eyelet in the middle)
    • 2 D-Rings (bent)
    • 3 D-Rings (straight)
    • 6 Metall slides to hold the D-Rings in place
    • Crotch Strap (softer material)
    • 6 Rubber bands
    • 1 Loop of Bungee Cord
    • 1 Metal Buckle
    • 1 Inflator Hose
  • 2 Weight Pockets
  • 2 Trim Weight Pockets
  • 2 Screw Sets
  • 1 Inflator Hose (spare)
  • 2 Tank Cam Bands
  • 1 Bag

Order/Delivery
After a standard online ordering process and a relatively quick complimentary delivery to Italy, the gear arrived carefully packaged. All of the parts were wrapped in seperate plastic bags and everything was in top condition.

Assembly Status
The DIR Harness was completely rigged and attached to the backplate. Even rubber straps and bugee cord were attached. The fabric single tank adapter was allready mounted and the inflator unit set up properly. The bladder was inside the outer shell and all the quick dump valves properly attached.

Quality/Materials
As far as I can judge only high quality materials have been processed. The fabric of the outer shell of the wing as well as the main harness and the crotch strap (softer material) showed no irregularities or damages. The Nylon feels soft but at the same time ridgid and makes a good impression. All the seams are very well sewn and the (YKK) zippers seem of high quality. All edges of the the Aluminum backplate are deburred.

Conclusion
After testing the unit in the warm waters of the Maldives during 20 dives, my personal conclusion is that this unit is a high quality complete Wing-Style BCD. Everything is supposed to work the way it should and there was no fault found.

Since this is the first time I’m diving a wing I can’t compare it to any other BCD’s of that style. Nevertheless it clearly changed my diving experience. The freedom of movement and the reduction of drag are obvious.

Compared to the Halcyon Eclipse (40lbs) the wing seems quite large considering it has virtually the same volume. This is in fact the only noteworthy point of critisism that occured to me.

About Me
I am a PADI OWSI with roughly 500 Dives and 50 Certifications. I have no connection to any of the manufacturers mentioned in this review. My only motivation to write this review is the fact, that I didn’t find much helpful stuff out there when I was looking for a new wing-style BCD.

Photos:
20160101-TL17-11.jpg

20151214-TL17-12.jpg

20151214-TL17-13.jpg

20151214-TL17-14.jpg

20151214-TL17-15.jpg

20151214-TL17-16.jpg

20151214-TL17-17.jpg

20151214-TL17-18.jpg

20151214-TL17-19.jpg

20151214-TL17-20.jpg

Thanks for the review....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your review. I am pretty new to the sport and will buy my first BP/W-rig soon. I am very interested in the TecLine stuff since the company is from europe and i expect easier support (i am from vienna) than from a compony that is like 10000 miles away

I have a question about:

• 2 Weight Pockets
  • 2 Trim Weight Pockets

Are the weight pockets attachable to the backplate somehow or are they strapped onto the bottle?

Thanks for your review. I am pretty new to the sport and will buy my first BP/W-rig soon. I am very interested in the TecLine stuff since the company is from europe and i expect easier support (i am from vienna) than from a compony that is like 10000 miles away

I have a question about:

• 2 Weight Pockets
  • 2 Trim Weight Pockets

Are the weight pockets attachable to the backplate somehow or are they strapped onto the bottle?

Hey!

I'm also from Vienna :wink:

The weight pockets are attachable to the backplate in the hip area (see attachment). The necessary screws where delivered as well. I guess they are supposed to work very similar to any other quick release weight system. I haven't used them though.

The trim weight pockets are simply two pouches with zippers that can be attached to the cam bands. I attached one of them to the harness and use it as a pocket for small stuff. The other one is carrying my weight.

If you want more information on the piece, just ask. In April I'll be back in town and then you could even have a look at it. If you want that, please contact me via PM.

cheers,
max

Attachments

• 20151214_182712-2.jpg
    20151214_182712-2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 318
A little bit late, but i got my Tecline Donut 15kg wing with steel packplate (2,5kg) and DIR harness and weight pockets this March.

Did 12 dives in Domenican Republic and really liked it so far. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it SEEMS really well crafted and sturdy.
Overall i am really satistfied with my new gear.

I also bought this setup with the 15L donut, and really like it. Good STA-less setup, stable mounting, functional (if slightly oversized for my needs) weight pockets for a good price. Webbing is nice, more comfortable than my SO's ScubaPro x-tek - more supple crotch strap and slightly more supple but plenty stiff webbing for the harness. 15L is actually still too much lift for my warm water diving (don't think I ever needed more than a moderate puff of air in there) but it's a very nice all-round package I have no trouble recommending. Bought it because the LDS stocks it and provides the necessary support.

Yeah, 15kg seems to be a bit too much for me too. One thing that bugs me a bit is the sheer dimension of the wing. Now i don't have other wings in comparison, but it SEEMS huge. I don't care underwater, but i noticed the following: if you sit on a dive boat the wing is so big that it actually really easily wraps around the backplate in the bottom, which means that the backplate and the bottle weight rest directly on the wing if you are not super careful. So i guess what i am saying is that maybe a wing that is wider, but not so toll would be better?

I also did my second dive without the crotch strap to find out if it's really necessary. To be honest at least for me and my single tank setup the crotch strap does absolutely nothing. That's why i removed it, my crotch is a temple you know. No noticeable difference in any position for me.

It is marginally larger than my GF's ScubaPro 13L wing, on par with the Hollis wings another LDS carries for size. I do find the crotch strap comfortable in the water and particularly helpful at the surface (prevents it from riding up), so I use it.

I may get a small travel wing (like the Apeks 18L) at some point though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom