review Sealife Mini II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So this is going to be my review of the mini II, I have just started school so when time permits I will load the pictures on here. and BTW im not an expert photographer by any means. This is my first camera purchase.
So first off let me start by saying that this camera ended up I believe flooding and now it doesnt work. I havent been able to contact my LDS to figure out what to do yet but will get around to it hopefully in the next couple of days.
The camera took spectacular pictures though. I forgot to set the underwater mode a couple times for some reason and the pictures still turned out decent. When you remember to set the underwater mode (which is amazingly easy) it takes great pictures and remember this is retail like a 250 dollar camera. the zoom feature on this camera is decent for what it is. It allows you to click a button 3 times and zoom in and eventually goes back to no zoom if you click it 4 times. It does have an internal flash that again is a button you click for different settings which I dont remember off the top of my head. The video quality on this camera was pretty awesome as well, i do have videos to which I will try to upload. You cannot adjust the zoom which the camera is filming tho. On another note the macro on this camera...well it might as well not be a feature. I tried to get close to a little nudibranch and a small seaslug and its unfocused pictures with little blobs in the middle. I did wait for quite a while to see if it would focus and nothing. It was somewhat difficult every now and then to find what your trying to photograph on the LCD screen. But my advice is to find what your trying to get a close up picture of and zoom in all the way and try to get a picture from a little further back. But needless to say this is not going to get you superb macro photos with tis camera. My only other downfall I can think of with this camera is the batterylife. To be safe I replaced my batteries after everydive...unless we dove really deep and were only down for like 10-20 minutes. But most of these photos were dont from 20-55 feet of water. No strobe either. my last dive my photos started to be really bad my last dive and then it shut off. When I got to the surface the camera wouldnt turn on and the lense was foggy??? It was since not worked.

My overall review is that if your not a big time photographer, and not looking for amazing macro shots. This camera is a good buy. I havent heard of anyone elses camera dying like mine has so i'm going to give sealife the benifit of the doubt and say something out of the ordinary happened with mine. This camera takes really good pictures in underwater mode (without a strobe I might add) and takes pretty good videos as well. So again if your someone that doesnt want to spend the money on a camera, housing, possible strobe and whatever else. This camera ($250) will be what you want. I will give another update after I figure out what happened with my camera and get a response from either sealife or my LDS. Also will get photos and videos uploaded asap. If you have any further questions by all means feel free to ask. I will answer the best I can.

Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my wife. Sorry to hear about the flooding. SeaLife will take care of you. I had a DC1000 go bad after the warrenty was up, for a nominal fee under $200 I received a new DC1200. Being in warrenty you'll have a new one i'm sure. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

heres some of the photos, I believe most of these werent in underwater mode.
Hawaii scuba trip 2011 001.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 002.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 003.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 004.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 005.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 007.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 008.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 009.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 010.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 011.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 012.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 013.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 014.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 015.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 016.jpg

here are some in underwater mode

Hawaii scuba trip 2011 024.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 025.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 026.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 027.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 041.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 042.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 051.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 052.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 053.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 055.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 057.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 058.jpgHawaii scuba trip 2011 060.jpg

Attachments

• Hawaii scuba trip 2011 043.jpg
    Hawaii scuba trip 2011 043.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 849
  • Hawaii scuba trip 2011 044.jpg
    Hawaii scuba trip 2011 044.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 676
I'm not impressed with either the various photos I've seen posted here from this camera over the past months, or with the opinions of the Mini II hardware others have posted. I get much better shots with my Canon Powershot SD750 in a Canon u/w housing from Leisurepro. I have no hardware issues, battery life is great, etc. I may get a Sealife strobe for it at some point, but changing to a Sealife Mini II or even a DC1200 seems like a step backwards for me. Perhaps when the the model to replace the DC1200 comes out later this year I'll change my mind.

We owned and got rid of the sealife mini 2 quickly. There are many other cameras that are much better than this one. Sealife puts out great products but imho this is not one of them.

I guess being that this is my first camera I was impressed lol. Im definitely going to be upgrading in the future I believe, probably to sealifes dc1200 replacement depending on the reviews and features. But for me I thought the camera took pretty decent pictures...I am unable to upload videos for some reason but I thought those were decent. The lack of battery really is the biggest downfall. Im need to look into a camera that can do really good macro photos. Thats what i'm really interested in.

I have the Sealife Mini II, I like the simplicity of the camera and I'm quite happy with it. Of course it's not a super camera and not what a professional photographer would consider appropriate, but for holiday divers like me who only take pictures to show to family and friends and for remembrance of a dive holiday and anyway is clown with a camera then it’s fine.

I bought one and would classify it now as junk. I sent it back after it leaked behind the veiwfinder and got a new one in the mail yesterday. Will try it out this weekend 1 more time and if it gives me any problems Im insisting on a refund. The amount of pics one can take with fresh batteries is way off from what the book says. Avoid cameras with AAA batteries in the future. Sve your money and get something else folks, Sealife flopped on this one and should be effin ashamed of themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom