Review of Aeris Velicity fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
A while back I posted a very favorable "initial impression" of some new fins I bought -- Aeris Velocity fins. I purchased them after doing some homework and reading the reviews of the fins. And I tried them on in my pool and really liked them...but that's not much of a test.

Well, I just got back from a week-long dive drip in Cozumel and have some more "real world" experience with them...

In a nutshell, these fins are absolutely *fantastic*. And I'm not an easy person to impress ("glass is half empty" kind of person). I never thought my fins could make such a difference, but I was wrong.

In the water it didn't even feel like I was wearing fins. These things almost disappear! I'm not kidding...it's unbelievable. I could kick my legs with either a standard "scissor" kick or "frog" kick and there was almost no effort involved. But somehow my forward thrust was fantastic...almost like the laws of physics were being defied (you know, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction -- I felt like I was getting the better end of the reaction).

These fins worked great even with a current. In fact, they worked so effortlessly that I rarely would tire when swimming into a current.

And the control? Fantastic. I could turn easily, maneuver easily, and rarlely kicked up silt like the guys with the "true" split fins.

The best part was that all of this added up to 2 nice side effects: 1) my air consumption was dramatically improved and 2) my feet never hurt, or chafed, even after 6 days of diving.

Just for comparison, I put on my old Mares Plana Avanti fins on my last 2 dives. I could feel the difference immediately. The Mares felt like they were 2 boards straped to my feet. I had to exude serious effort to get my legs to kick and I didn't feel to get much propulsion out of the effort. Totally disappointing.

In fact, I'm so impressed with these fins that I bought a second pair yesterday (full foot model). The Mares fins will be given away to somebody else (anybody want them??) After my experience with these fins, I never want to wear the Mares fins again. I am definitely a convert.

Rodale's hit the nail on the head -- they rated the Aeris Velocity fins the best fins in their latest comparison test, and I think they must be right. If you haven't checked out these fins, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Thx...Doug

In fact, I'm so impressed with these fins that I bought a second pair yesterday (full foot model). The Mares fins will be given away to somebody else (anybody want them??)

Thx...Doug [/B]

good to know, thats what fins I bought. Never had good SCUBA fins before, only cheap fins. Good to know the ones I bought sound excelent, like I made the right choice... thx for the info.

And they're even better with spring straps. :D

Finnaly got to try mine out thursday, with and without all the gear on, and they do work great, very light on your feet. My Dive instructor even asked if he can borrow them at some point in the class to try them, so sometime before were done with OW I'm gonna let him try them out.

Glad to hear that they work fine for you! I honestly do not like these fins. These were the first ones I bought, and they pretty much gave me cramps whenever I went diving. So I bought a new set of fins (the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins) and I must say, I noticed the difference in a second. My cramps went away, and I would come up with way more air than when I used the Aeris Velocity fins.

I love mine; the only time i was not really comfortable was when "kicking too hard". it almost seems like the less you kick the faster you go. every bit as good as space frogs at about half the price.....

m

Back
Top Bottom