Reverse Patch Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, how exactly do you get a transponder at Dutch with just "OW, AOW, Nitrox, Dry Suit, Rescue" ? Copied from your profile

That's one easy mystery to solve. I got the SDI solo card last year, but I haven't updated my profile in a long time! :)

All of my problems, every last one, stem from my inability to maintain static trim.

That's certainly possible.

There is no patch for correcting that.

You might be surprised how helpful an experienced pair of eyes watching you underwater can be. If you are having problems with your trim, maybe give Wayne a call....

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 05:24 PM ----------

As a new diver, I haven't figured out why so many people are down on card collectors or patch divers. There are other underwater activities such as photography, spear fishing, and bottle collecting that produce little trophies to annoy friends and family with. What is so wrong with someone who likes the challenge of learning a new skill and then receiving a merit m badge for it other than it being a little dorky if they glue their patches to their drysuit? I've noticed that of the students that were in my OW class, it is the ones that continued to take other classes that dive more often. Considering that I went through AOW and rescue in my first year of diving I m probably a patch diver. I still think it's worth it, especially the the rescue class. Each class has made me feel more confident and aware on my non class dives. I've already decided to keep collecting a few patches a year as I want to keep building skills. Oh, to the OP, a custom, private, class to work on what I need to personally work on sounds awesome too, even if there is not a trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that you may have misunderstand my post. I didn't mean to imply that there was a problem with training and earning certification cards at all. To the contrary, training is obviously very important in everything from scuba diving to pole vaulting to cardiothoracic surgery. What I was referring to was the type of diver who sees certification cards as an end in themselves, and who rapidly progresses through classes at the expense of taking the time to dive between classes and apply what they have learned in practice. "Patch diver" is just an old figure of speech for this type of diver, it doesn't refer to people who like actual physical cloth patches.

And you are right - a custom, private class is a great thing to budget for during the season. It doesn't have to be more than a single dive, and it's really not too expensive, but it's money well spent.

Have you actually taken the Primer, lowviz?

I have. It focused primarily on basic skills, equipment, and body position. We spent hours in the water videotaping my trim, position, and propulsion, and then discussed the video between dives.

It probably cost more than a cheap AOW class to do a private Primer. I didn't get a patch or card, but got an exceptional value-for-dollar in a couple days of intensive mentoring.

Have you actually taken the Primer, lowviz? ...//...

No, I have not. Don't intend to either. I see it this way:

Required Dive Skills and Drills

1. Demonstrate proficiency in safe diving techniques; this would include pre-dive preparations, inwater activity, and post-dive assessment.
  2. Demonstrate awareness of team member location and concern for safety, responding quickly to visual indications and dive partner needs.
  3. Demonstrate a safe and responsible demeanor throughout all training.
  4. Demonstrate proficiency in underwater communication.
  5. Demonstrate basic proficiency managing a GUE equipment configuration.
  6. Demonstrate safe ascent and descent procedures.
  7. Comfortably demonstrate at least two propulsion techniques that would be appropriate in delicate and/or silty environments.
  8. Demonstrate comprehension of the components necessary to maintain good buoyancy and trim.

I don't see "Demonstrate ability to maintain trim for a predetermined amount of time". I don't want to "comprehend" buoyancy and trim, I want to achieve it.

I don't see "Demonstrate ability to maintain trim for a predetermined amount of time". I don't want to "comprehend" buoyancy and trim, I want to achieve it.

I think that you would be much better off by spending an dive or two at Dutch with a coach, as I had suggested above. No course material, no academics, no agency, no card. Just someone to help you get your buoyancy and trim dialed in. Very cost and time efficient, and personalized.

I think that's an argument of semantics and reading a class description vs actual in-class experience. If you prefer to assume that the Primer, as I experienced and described, wasn't working to achieve buoyancy and trim, then it probably would be a waste of time for you. My belief, based on the lecture and extensive practice time, is that it aims to give both understanding and physical ability.

My my instructor informed me that my propulsion and trim at the end would have met the criteria for at least a Fundies rec pass. I went into the class looking like a complete soup sandwich, and came out of it still relatively inexperienced but with much better understanding and demonstrated trim & buoyancy ability.

I think that's an argument of semantics and reading a class description vs actual in-class experience. ...//...

Of course it is, but I make my spend decisions on what the agency tells me the course is going to cover. If it is something else, they need to rewrite the course description.

...//... If you prefer to assume that the Primer, as I experienced and described, wasn't working to achieve buoyancy and trim, then it probably would be a waste of time for you. ...//...

Or not. I don't assume very much at all, that may be the problem here.

...//... My my instructor informed me that my propulsion and trim at the end would have met the criteria for at least a Fundies rec pass. I went into the class looking like a complete soup sandwich, and came out of it still relatively inexperienced but with much better understanding and demonstrated trim & buoyancy ability.

Yes, but a previous post of yours expressed your own frustration with Primer.

My point is that you (and certainly I) may have had a better experience and gotten more out of Primer had you first taken GUE's nonexistent ASP. Achieving Static Platform

My main complaint is that neither agency explicitly teaches (to some definable degree of perfection) the core skill that the whole system is based on. It appears to me, from either's literature, that this skill is gained somewhere along the sequence of courses.

I just want to be able to cease all motion and hang in 0-15 degree trim for 3-5 minutes using just breathing to control my position in the water column.

I'll let this hijack go here and thank doctormike for his patience.

A few 'patches' let you do things on some charters you wouldn't be allowed to do without them, or use a given gas, or rent types of gear, etc...

O.W.: Often hard to dive without it, unless you live near shore diving.

AOW or Deep: Some charters want it for dives over 60'.

Nitrox: To use nitrox.

Solo: To solo dive.

Rescue: To pursue professional rankings.

Professional Cert.s: To teach.

I don't recall offhand how often a Wreck cert. is needed to do a penetration dive off a charter boat.

I don't know offhand to what extent tech. cert.s are needed to get rebreather supplies, trimix, go on tech. charters, etc...

My point is, there are some 'patches' (cert.s) that have a practical use aside from the knowledge and skills acquired pursuing them, a use the diver might need.

Richard.

if you want deco 50 or 100 then you will ned a tech or better to get it. nitrox card is only good for 40. other than that you are right.

A few 'patches' let you do things on some charters you wouldn't be allowed to do without them, or use a given gas, or rent types of gear, etc...

O.W.: Often hard to dive without it, unless you live near shore diving.

AOW or Deep: Some charters want it for dives over 60'.

Nitrox: To use nitrox.

Solo: To solo dive.

Rescue: To pursue professional rankings.

Professional Cert.s: To teach.

I don't recall offhand how often a Wreck cert. is needed to do a penetration dive off a charter boat.

I don't know offhand to what extent tech. cert.s are needed to get rebreather supplies, trimix, go on tech. charters, etc...

My point is, there are some 'patches' (cert.s) that have a practical use aside from the knowledge and skills acquired pursuing them, a use the diver might need.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom